Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on a 1994 Montego and it was sitting for years and at some time all the 2 stroke oil emptied out all into the hull around the pump housing. So I took a shop vac and sucked it all out but I noticed the bottom of the machine all round the grate going towards the back is wet with oil. What I am thinking is the oil sat in there for so long that it might have eaten through the gasket ( if there is one there no sure) or the silicone that is between the pump housing and the hull? Maybe? So I was going the split them clean everything and reseal because if oil is getting out water might get in.Anything I need to watch out for ? Anyone else have done this before? Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
That is sealed from factory like a mother heifer. Should be evidence if someone messed with it. Otherwise you could put water in hull to verify if theres leaking from there before splitting that. That’s sealed pretty good from factory.if its too cold by you too like me, rv antifreeze instead of water would work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Grease monkey,
I did as you said and filled the bottom of my hull with water and 24 hours later it did leak a bit from the underneath of the machine. It does look like the silicone around the grate and the call it skid plate that is below the impeller looks kind of ugly , not stock . I think someone at one tile maybe had that out. I when need to remove to reseal is there any gaskets or just a nice bead of Right Stuf sealer. Mario

·
Registered
34 Posts
I looked in my early shark manual and will try to post pictures of how arctic cat suggests for removal. It said to remove silacone sealant and old gasket material but doesn’t specify a actual fabricated gasket if you will. I know my newer sharks have a actual gasket btween the wearring and hull,but thats a totally different pump assembly.if as you said its just leaking “a bit”. I personally would have someone with a shopvac w a finer nozzle on the inside a i would go underneath and try to force silicone in those specific areas and vacum would help pull it then after satisfied and fully cure take to boat launch and sit there with seat off with flashlight to see if leaking and if so is it minimal to not be a big deal. 8A7494AC-F4D8-4E2B-8679-56C7CF5E49DB.png 5610F656-0C96-4F62-8C2A-F476852AFDFA.png

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep that was me , almost sold the thing because I could not believe how hard it was to remove the tank but it is out now. I don't have the tool to remove the housing but I am sure by the look of the silicone that is there that it has been removed at some time so I am hoping it will come out so I can reseal.Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yea,goodluck.not sure if it’s your first jetski. Those are a shallower hull design, more of a river rocket/calmer water for peak performance. Once you get to the deeper hull design like the 96-97’s they can handle the heavier chop/waves better. Me and my kids still enjoy my little 93 daytona, have fun with your hobby! I try to look at my rebuilds like that. As long as the engine is shimmed correctly and the coupler is true and straight to the driveshaft to impeller you shouldn’t smoke a bearing.i never tore the early ones down that far,but the later models i do. So i guess i might learn along the way also! Lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 last thing,

Once I remove the housing and clean everything up what should I use to reseal the housing to the hull?
The manual I found says just plain old silicone. Should I use anything any better? Maybe Right Stuff?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Is right stuff your referring to that gasket maker rtv type blue? If so, i’m not sure how that works in that situation/conditions if you will. The manual i have arctic cat calls for silicone sealant also (i use a lexel) brand from ace hardware which is marine grade.arctic cat/tigershark in my manual states some nuts and bolts to be coated when installing some and a tightening sequence also when when installing jetpump housing to hull. Congrats so far,most people take a sawzall to the hull and part them out. You get her running right she’d be good for another 25 years! I can try to post my jetpump housing install page if you need it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I went out and looked at the hull of a 900 i’m doing an engine rebuild over winter and i think your right. Around some of the areas(ride plate holes etc. they did use a black gasket type material. Don’t know if it’s like the rightstuff but looks pretty close.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts