Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m probably going to buy a jet ski this weekend but it has no title. The guy has a Department of Natural Resources bill of sale, would I be able to get a new title for the ski with just that. Does anyone know anything about this? If I can’t get a title with that what would I have to do? Thanks

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Depends on what State you are in. There should be an online page that shows requirements for boat registration and titling. In NC titiling of boats is handled by the Wildlife Commision, but trailers are handled by the DMV. Generally if the ski has been titled by the previous owner, you will have to transfer that title. If there is no title a bill of sale (almost always has to be notarized) will usually do the trick.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i live in maryland, department of natural resources says every vessel must be registered. how do get the bill of sale notorized? do u have to bring the seller with you to the dmv place and get it filled out there??

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Here is the info from the Maryland Dept. of Nat. Resources Page for what you will need: Maryland Department of Natural Resources - Boating

When I do this type of transaction, the seller and I usually just go to a local bank (they always have a notary). Usually the seller's bank will be closer unless he is delivering the ski. Make the payment there as well. Sometimes just the seller's signature needs to be notarized, and sometimes both buyer and seller.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Forgot to mention the most important thing when buying a used ski is to make sure it does not have a lien. This will be shown on the title, or should be on the bill of sale if the bill of sale is issued by the dept. that also registers the ski. So, I'd check out that bill of sale carefully for lien holders.

You can still buy a ski under lien, but it becomes more complicated. You basically go to the bank that holds the lien and pay it off first then give the seller any money left from the agreed upon sales price. If the seller owes more than he is asking for the ski and is not able to pay off the lien at the time of the sale.............run, don't walk away from that sale.......nothing but headaches.

·
Registered
11 Posts
That's great advice to run, not walk, away from a sale if you find there is a lien on it. That's for sure. My brother in law bought a jet ski a few years ago and found there was a lien in after he had closed the transaction and tried to get the title fixed. What a mess. He couldn't insure because it wasn't his, the previous owner played dumb and basically he was left with a civil court action that he had to spend more money on to get it taken care of. He was NOT happy. I definitely learned from his mishap to be careful and vigil in research of buying one, or anything for that matter, used.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Yea. I learned my lesson from a guy that I tried to buy a ski from last year. We had the deal all worked out, and he assured me that he had a clear title, but that the title was packed away in a box, since he was in the process of getting ready to move to another state. He assured me that he would mail the title to me once he got settled at his new location. The price was really good and the ski was beautiful, but something just sounded fishy about the deal, so I spent about $25 and did a title search (I had written down the HIN when I looked at the ski.........smartest thing I had done all year), and found out the ski was under lien. It turns out that he owed almost $4000 more than he was asking for the ski. I'm sure that I would have been left with a ski that I couldn't register, and that the bank would be coming to repo. had I gone through with the deal. I saw his ad. again on craigslist the very next week.......I hope he didn't screw over some poor sap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts