Personal Water Craft Forum banner

To buy or not to buy

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  drfong 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm looking at a 2002 Yamaha GP800. It has no motor. The carbs and exhaust are there, just the complete engine is gone. The rest of the ski seems to be in very good shape. I can get the ski for next to nothing. I want the trailer it is sitting on. I can get the whole thing w/trailer for $600. I would have to pay $350 for a trailer like the one it is sitting on, so I would really only have 250 bucks in it. I have never bought a fixer PWC before and guess I have 2 questions.
1. Should I buy it for so cheep?
2. If "yes" should I try to find a motor and put it back together or should I part it out?

I have seen a few sites where people are selling complete built engines, but it seems to be about 1295 to 1495 for one of these Yamaha 800 motors. I don't know if the ski would be worth that. Any one know a better way to find a used ski motor?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

#4 ·
Well I bought it

I gave the guy 500 bucks for the ski and a trailer (not the one in the pictures). I figure the trailer is worth 300 bucks and I needed a trailer for my other ski. That said I have about 200 in this. Now i need to figure if I should try to fix it or part it. I posted some pictures so I can get opinions and maybe you'll be able to see what I have and don't have. I really have no idea what I am missing. I have never worked on one of these before, but have been a mechanic for 20 years. I guess I need to get a manual so I can see what I am missing other than the obvious lack of a water heater. Vehicle Water transportation Personal water craft Jet ski Boating

Vehicle Water transportation Personal water craft Jet ski Boating

Vehicle Car Auto part Engine Trunk

Wire Electrical wiring Auto part Engine Technology

Electrical wiring Vehicle Electrical supply

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.