Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a new ski or two. I am looking to get these from an auction coming up soon. Majority of all the skis are seadoos and range from a 95 SPX to an 06 GTI and there are about 25 to choose from. They have a few hondas but I have a feeling they will go for much more than i want to spend.

With all the talk of having to do "carb jobs" on most of these older seadoos, would it be wise to buy a newer ski with fuel injection or does it really matter?

Also, from what year on did seadoo go to fuel injection?

Thanks in advance
Dan

·
Registered
209 Posts
its easier and cheaper to tune carbs yourself, then it is EFI

do you plan on modding it alot?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply remy. Looks like you've been helping alot of people on here, it's appreciated. I don't plan on modding alot but you never know everyone always wants to go faster!

I just didn't know how much time i would spend on carburated skis vs. EFI in terms of maintenance. I know it's all relative so we'll see what happens. Think i'll go the cheaper route (older,carburated) and roll the dice.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thanks for the reply remy. Looks like you've been helping alot of people on here, it's appreciated. I don't plan on modding alot but you never know everyone always wants to go faster!

I just didn't know how much time i would spend on carburated skis vs. EFI in terms of maintenance. I know it's all relative so we'll see what happens. Think i'll go the cheaper route (older,carburated) and roll the dice.
well thanks, just trying to spread the wealth.. good luck with finding a boat,,,,,, let us know what you get..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Woooo Hoooo!

Well the auction went very well and we picked up a 99 GSX limited for 2400. Mint condition, 52 hrs and also picked up a double trailer. Saving room for another ski!!! Hopefully we'll find one by next month. I'll let everyone know how it goes, we are going to the lake tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed.:D

By the way, can anyone point me in the right direction for a no B.S., all around good maintenance manual.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Great ski, fast as hell!

Alright! Well we got our ski out on the lake and it started right up. However for the first 5 minutes i couldn't get it over 2000 rpm with out it bogging down. I nursed it along and eventually got it up on plane. I had to play with the choke a little bit, and after about 30 seconds i was good to go. Once it got warm and on plane, it would reach top speed so I don't think it needs a carb job, but i could be wrong.

We got home and i took a look at the spark plugs and one of the gaps was almost closed. (touching the plug end) So I think thats the culpret. Anyone have any ideas?

Does anyone know if seadoos come with bilge pumps? I was inspecting the bilge/engine compartment components for defects/unserviceable items and i noticed a bilge pump mounted in there. It doesn't look like a BRP item. The brand is "Rule 500 fully automatic". It was unhooked also so i don't know what the reason for unhooking it would be.

I found the connection for it and hooked it back up, put the key in and it came on then went back off like it was resetting itself. Do bilge pumps come on and run constantly when they come in contact with water and then turn off as the water level drops?

Thanks in advance!
Dan

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Been working on my ski alot during the past couple of weeks. Had the carbs rebuilt, cleaned out the fuel tank(you wouldn't believe all the trash i pulled out), New spark plugs, fresh pump oil, PTO flywheel greased, new inline filter She runs like a dream! Best thing i ever did was buy the manual right off the bat.

The bilge pump is aftermarket, it's nice to have but not needed. The people that had this ski before me had it docked at a marina and probably needed it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts