Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recall reading something regarding limiting the top speed of PWCs to 65 mph but I'll be damned if I can find info on it again. What year was this regulation adopted? I'm in the market for a used, non-modified PWC and I'd like to stick to a pre-regulation model, specifically because of my speed addiction. However, I am new to PWCs so if anyone thinks I'm being foolish I'm open to advice. I do have experience with performance boats and I'm a licensed captain so I'm not a complete novice. Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There are no regulations for top speed of a factory PWC. There is a "gentlemans agreement" between the Coast Guard and the PWC industry to limit factory speed to 65 MPH that the industry has seemingly (so far) honored.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
The Ultra 150, when it came out, had a claim of 70 mph or 75 mph. I don't remember which one but I do remember there was a big deal made out of it because of that agreement. I'm not sure if they slowed down the others ones after the 99' model year or not though?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't believe I've ever seen a PWC review where a factory PWC exceeded 67MPH, WOT.

Many people will tell you their PWC goes faster because they are reading the factory speedo. Reviews are generally done with RADAR.

My 2005 Sea-Doo GTx Limited (215 HP) says 75 on the speedo. Top GPS speed = 63.8 - on flat water.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts