Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know alot about Snowmobiles and dirt bikes, but nothing about PWC and ATV's. i know i'm gonna get biased opinions, but help me out, maybe there are certain PWC's to stay away from. Just want to have fun in Northern Ontario, would like to support Bombardier since they're Canadian. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Every brand has its advantages and disadvantages depending on what you are looking for. Right now you basically have 3 choices in the US/Canada: Kawasaki, SeaDoo, and Yamaha. Honda has not produced a ski since 2009, and it looks like they are out of the ski business at least for now. I couldn't recommend one of their skis to a new owner. Kawasaki has the most stable rough water ski with the most storage capacity, but is by all accounts the least reliable, although probably most affordable ski. SeaDoo has the fastest skis with the most "extras" like brakes, suspension, etc.., but are also easily the most expensive skis to buy new. Yamaha falls in the middle with stable reliable skis, that are in the middle price wise (I'm talking about new models here).

Probably most important factor for you if you are considering a new ski, would be how accessable is the local dealer/mechanic. All the manufacturers have stopped production of 2 stroke skis, so only 4 strokes are available now, and they are pretty reliable compared to the older 2 strokes. Since they all come with a warranty for at least the first couple of years, I'd look around for a dealer that you feel familiar with and go with them.

If you are looking for used skis things get much more complicated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:thumbsup:thanks man! i live in ontario so Sea Doo dealerships are everywhere. i also have friends with Sea Doo's. Had no idea Honda stopped production - seems they didn't last too long. Thought they they were doing well with their 4 strokes...oh well...Honda knows where they make their money...also didn't know 2 strokes went bye bye.... ski doo snowmobiles came up with a great 2 stroke called the E-Tec, surprised they aren't in the Sea Doo's... they are just as equal on emissions as 4 stroke snowmobiles. But i guess Yamaha, Kawasaki and Sea Doo all have their pros and cons. i have to admit, i'm a sucker for gadgets and fancy bells and whistles so i guess Sea Doo would be my number 1 choice. i'm on alake, so no ocean waves to worry about, just a smooth, maybe a little choppy water. i guess i'll have to do my homework....and i want a brand new PWC, not looking for used. Ya i know they're pricey but i want soemthing for thelong haul. thanks again.

Quentin R.
Toronto, On.

·
Registered
811 Posts
:thumbsup:thanks man! i live in ontario so Sea Doo dealerships are everywhere. i also have friends with Sea Doo's. Had no idea Honda stopped production - seems they didn't last too long. Thought they they were doing well with their 4 strokes...oh well...Honda knows where they make their money...also didn't know 2 strokes went bye bye.... ski doo snowmobiles came up with a great 2 stroke called the E-Tec, surprised they aren't in the Sea Doo's... they are just as equal on emissions as 4 stroke snowmobiles. But i guess Yamaha, Kawasaki and Sea Doo all have their pros and cons. i have to admit, i'm a sucker for gadgets and fancy bells and whistles so i guess Sea Doo would be my number 1 choice. i'm on alake, so no ocean waves to worry about, just a smooth, maybe a little choppy water. i guess i'll have to do my homework....and i want a brand new PWC, not looking for used. Ya i know they're pricey but i want soemthing for thelong haul. thanks again.

Quentin R.
Toronto, On.
EY Quentin,

I can't believe you would consider anything but a Seadoo. The reason I chose Seadoo was simple after owning about 20 Skidoo snowmobiles starting with my 1985 formula plus, I have not owned anything else they were always dependable and very fast. After all how can you compare an Austrian Motor against a Jap motor. Bombardier is a quality company.:thumbsup: I personally know (Jerry Gaddis )owner of GREEN HULK forum and PWC performance. he swears by Seadoo and Yamaha in that order, so there you have it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cool. Ya i guess i just have some respect for Kawasaki since they invented the Jet Ski, but Bombardier makes amazing toys!!! i rented Yamaha wave runners before, wasn't that impressed..mine kept stalling on me, they had to rent me again at half price. of coarse that was just one incident, and they were abit older. i guess polaris, arctic-cat and Honda bowed out....must not have been making $$$$

1 - 5 of 5 Posts