Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've read that certain jetski's will flood because of water being forced into the intakes. If that's the case you can clamp off the hose.

Does anyone know if the Yamaha's fall in this category? I'd like to pull it behind our pontoon boat, but I don't want to hydrolock the engine!

Thanks!

'98 Yamaha GP760

·
Registered
209 Posts
2fs2ns said:
I've read that certain jetski's will flood because of water being forced into the intakes. If that's the case you can clamp off the hose.

Does anyone know if the Yamaha's fall in this category? I'd like to pull it behind our pontoon boat, but I don't want to hydrolock the engine!

Thanks!

'98 Yamaha GP760

water can only get in the ski if it goes through the carbs,or backwards through the exhaust if the skis not on.,, the intake your talking about is just a way for air to get inside the ski, it doesnt go directly to the carbs.... just make sure the thing isnt submarining,,, also if you have an aftermarket bilge pump you should turn it on and leave it on when you tow.... atleast i would...

·
BORN TO FISH NOT CATCH
1,512 Posts
yes they will fill up with water!!!
because the water pressure will go into the pump
you will need to pinch off the hose

·
Registered
209 Posts
there wouldnt be enough pressure to push the water all the way to the motor..

and even if it did get to the motor, it only gets in the jacketed areas of the exhaust manifold or cylinders,,,thats where water belongs so it wont hurt anything, i bet theres water in everyone incoming lines right now as i type.....

for water to reach the inside of the motor it would have to go all the way through the system and back up through the exhaust then down into the jugs... unless water has a mind of its own and can walk,, it wont get in...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For those of you that pinch it off, what do you use?

Thanks, it sounds like it'd be better safe than sorry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts