Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 1996 ZXI 750 today. The trim gauge says its down. When you press the up tab, makes no noise, doesnt move. top speed of the ski as is is 45mph... i weigh 150lbs. And this ski has mods. Guy says it will run 60 and i believe if the trim werent stuck down it would... Any ideas? im thinking it cant be the trim motor because it doesnt make any noise at all. Maybe fuse? or battery connection? I would appreciate any help thanks.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Having it trimmed all the way down could definitely reduce performance. I don't know a lot about Kaw skis, but I've heard the trim motor is easily flooded, since the box it is in was poorly sealed. It is probably a bad motor or controller (motor making no noise at all makes me think..........bad motor). If you can wire the motor directly to the battery, you can find out pretty quick. You can occasionally see motor and controllers for sale on Ebay. I'd try to get it into a neutral position and lock it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Not to steal your thread, but my 2002 yamaha FX140 has a stuck manual trim, and since it's stuck in the middle I have not messed with it, but am curious what I would take to fix it, it just seems stuck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
ive had several kawi's and all had trim probs. water leaks in through the cable due to poor seals in cable. sometimes magnets in motor case breaks loose from housing. it has a relay that can go bad or could be a bad switch just have to do a process of elimination

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldnt have a problem if it were in the neutural position. I just want the 60mph this ski should get. not to mention its taking alot of fuel to cruise at 30-35. Any ideas of how i can get it in the center and lock it?

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Just bought a 1996 ZXI 750 today. The trim gauge says its down. When you press the up tab, makes no noise, doesnt move. top speed of the ski as is is 45mph... i weigh 150lbs. And this ski has mods. Guy says it will run 60 and i believe if the trim werent stuck down it would... Any ideas? im thinking it cant be the trim motor because it doesnt make any noise at all. Maybe fuse? or battery connection? I would appreciate any help thanks.
I wouldnt have a problem if it were in the neutural position. I just want the 60mph this ski should get. not to mention its taking alot of fuel to cruise at 30-35. Any ideas of how i can get it in the center and lock it?
Like the others pointed out the ZXIs are notorious for trim failures. The electrical box that houses the motor sits on the bottom of the hull right where water likes to flow. Water gets in and boom it's fried. You need to replace the whole box and I heard it's expensive. Talk about a design failure.

SeaDoo's VTS motors sit up high almost by the base of the handlebars. But Yamaha has the best system of them all, manual with the flick of the wrist and you're adjusted. No motors, electrics, etc. Faster and bulletproof. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Not to steal your thread, but my 2002 yamaha FX140 has a stuck manual trim, and since it's stuck in the middle I have not messed with it, but am curious what I would take to fix it, it just seems stuck.
Almost always it will be from some corrosion at the twist grip connection on the handlebar on the FX. Usually a very easy fix. Just take the grip apart (pretty easy.......seems like it just a couple of screws). You need to release the cables to clean them up and lubricate them. A 2 screw cable luber is what I recommend. Then smear some grease inside the plastic housing, and you are good to go. More rarely the system can lock up in the rear of the ski. You have to take the 2 rear rubber curtains off behind the nozzle to get to the connections, but the same applies: clean the cables, and lube.

In really bad cases the cables may be so rusty that you have to replace them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took it apart, the motor is definately shot. The whole trim assembly box was full of water and corrosion. But now my question is, What can i do to lock the trim at center position??!! I cant move the cable? should i cut the cable and use some gorilla glue to get it where i want? I can upload a pic of the piece i need. it seems like a simple design.

·
Registered
5 Posts
look in the box and see if you can adjust the cable yourself
should be some sort of swivel for the cable or something.

your pic didn't show up .

·
Registered
16 Posts
most have a bolt head you can put a wrench on to manualy turn it but dont force it you could cause further damage.remove the cover from the trim box and you should be able to acess it no prob. i had a ssxi one time and the trim box was under and to the side of engine had to remove engine to get to it. my sts is under storage bin in front very easy to do. hope yours is to good luck

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
I'm telling you have to buy a whole new box or at least a new motor. You can't half-ass these trim systems. I tried when I had a 95 900zxi with a blown trim system as well. Didn't work.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
At this point im not worried about being able to adjust the trim. I just want it to stay in the neutural position. I looked in the box and all the components were locked up tight. I think im going to attempt to weld the ball joint to the outside of the connecting rod, rather than the ball sitting in the rod. It will sit on the end of it, thus putting it into a centered position. It wont hinder the steering either because it rotates on a seperate axix. I think im going to try some silicone on it before i take permanent measures. Im almost positive this is the simplest way.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Buying another trim box isnt an option that i will be able to fund this year. Im still in high school and i can barely afford gas for the thing. lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
most have a bolt head you can put a wrench on to manualy turn it but dont force it you could cause further damage.remove the cover from the trim box and you should be able to acess it no prob. i had a ssxi one time and the trim box was under and to the side of engine had to remove engine to get to it. my sts is under storage bin in front very easy to do. hope yours is to good luck
Mine is too, well 2 bolts are, but theres always that one awkwardly placed bolt that takes 10 minutes of work fumbling with an allen key. :/

·
Registered
5 Posts
well you might have to adjust a couple times to
get it to plane out right which might not be exactly
neutral setting on trim .

·
Registered
5 Posts
there all diff rent . mine did well in most situations a little
under level/neutral .

but that's what there for because depending on traffic