Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whatsup guys,
I just picked up a 1985 JS550 off some guy on craigslist. The reason I bought it because he went through the entire hull, did some "fiberglass work" (even though it fills with some water pretty quickly) and repainted the entire thing so it looks brand new.
The ski fired right up (out of water) when checking it out, then I bring it to the lake and it has a hard time turning over in the water. I eventually got the ski to turn over after a few minutes by feathering the throttle to get some gas flow to the carb, rode for a few minutes, fell, and it never wanted to turn over again. I then load the ski up back into the truck and after a few tries, the ski started up again.
Any advice on what the issue could be? Carb tuning for the different pressure in the water?

Also, the hull fills with water fairly quick and the electric bilge doesnt want to spit out 50% of the water. Is there any place I should be checking to see if water could be entering in? and/or tips to fix the bilge pump.

·
Read Only
5,059 Posts
Post a picture of the carb. I'm betting it still has the old bn style carb. Might be worn out, or just needs to be rebuilt. If it's good, and tuned properly, it will fire right off in or out of the water.
It should not be filling with water at all, so you need to find and fix the leak before you lose your ski.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts