Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i have rented pwc's before and never have owned...a few first timer questions

i purchased a 2003 ultra 150 with the performance pkg & 2004 without the performance pkg...
1) i have found with the 2004 that i will go full throttle and it cruises at 20 mph-what am i doing wrong?

2) should the trim be up or down when going faster or slower

3) and where is the choke supposed to be when driving

4) in the 03 with the performance pkg we are supposed to use 1 gal gas to 1 oz of oil...can i use the same in the 04 without the performance pkg

sorry for the basic questions, but when we rented i never had these issues

thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
What's in the performance package? I have never even heard of that before? The choke should only be used until that engine is warm enough to idle on it's own. Actually, on my Ultra 150, I use it just to get it started and then it is good from there. With your trim, it does not matter what position it is in for riding. If my memory serves me correctly though. If I want to go fast in a straight line, I put my trim up. If I want to do more turning and have it corner better, I put the trim down. With the one that is only going 20 mph at full throttle, try changing out the spark plugs first. That is the cheapest fix and is the problem many times. If it is not that, then check your impeller and drive shaft for damage. They can be seen from underneath your boat through the intake grate at the rear of the jet ski. If those are all good, then check your engine compression. As far as how many gallons of fuel to ounces of oil that you use, that is a good question? If I have a full thing of oil it will usually last me 4-6 tanks of fuel. Going off of memory, I know my fuel tank is 15-15.5 gallons of fuel and I believe my oil tank is approximately 1 gallon but I could be wrong on that but I do know it is somewhere around that capacity.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi. thank you for your response...apparently the 2003 has a modification package? different engine and it requires in the gas reservoir to have for every 1 gal gas to 1 oz of oil mixed...i was wondering if i can use the same gas/oil mix in the 2004 that has no modification engine....

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Let me talk to a guy I know on Tuesday because I have never heard of such a thing on the Ultra 150. What you are describing sounds more like they deleted the oil injection and went to a fuel/oil mix set up. That's not really a performance package, that just a modification to assure that your engine will always have the proper amount of oil and fuel together.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I know a 50:1 mix is about 2.5oz of oil to every gallon, so that seems pretty lean what your running for oil mix.
You need alot more info to figure this one out. What kinda performance pkg is this? how many hours? what has been done, whats the compression on the cycl's. The more info the better to help you with this problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hi glockm22,
thank you for your reply..im not sure what kind of performance package is on it. maybe i meant to say modification package? no clue. all i know is that it has 38 hours on it...how can i tell what has been done?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts