Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help....I have a 1996 Tigershark Montego that I have not had a problem with since day 1. I used it mainly for running the rivers when I dont feel like taking the ski out. The other day I told my son and his friend they could use it. Long story short I get the news that it almost caught on fire and smoke was barreling out of the engine compartment. Upon further investigation I find out that the battery wouldnt start the ski so they used a battery charger/starter set on 80amp starter made to get it running. After running for awhile they smelt the smoke and got it back to the dock. The voltage regulator is a charred up mess and melted a hole in the back side of the case. My question to the community is was this a fluke and the regulator went bad or did the charger screw it up by throwing too much juice. If so should I just replace the regulator or should I be looking at everything else. Thanks a ton in advance . Im new to the site and was recommended by a friend to check it out.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I'm guessing that they fired the rectifier/regulator with the charger. I don't know about Tigershark skis, but on other brands like Yamaha they do not recommend using a charger to start the ski, or jumping the ski from a running vehicle. It is known to fry the electronics. If the only damage was to the rec/reg. then you are probably lucky.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
I can't even count how many threads I've read of a story of how someone borrowed their ski to somebody and it came back crashed, flooded, sunk, or broken. That's why I never lend out my watercraft to anyone. Pop in a new regulator and see if it runs good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah its a shame....Generally he is a good kid so I cant complain too much and just move on. I found and decided to get a whole new electronics package for a decent price so hopefully everything is going to be good. I just wanted to figure out what happened and whether or not throwing 80 amps trying to start it had anything to do with it

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Yes I'd bet it did have something to do with it. You're not supposed to charge PWC batteries at more than 4 amps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts