Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yikes, any tricks to getting at the oil filter on an 09 VXD? I plan on doing my own routine stuff. I have the service manual but it doesn't really give much information. I guess attack it from the starboard side?

·
Registered
2 Posts
VX Deluxe Oil change

I have a 2008 VXD - I have changed the filters twice now. I bought a little gaget from the local auto store - it operates with a socket wrench. As you turn the wrench to the left, the device tightens around the oil filter and .... voila. Off it comes. I think it cost me about 12 bucks. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yamalube for 08 VX Deluxe

I'm comparing prices for Yamalube and found quite a surpising amount of variance. But one confusing part is this: My dealer sold me part number LUB-10W40-WV-04. I'm finding other stores sell LUB-10W40-WV-12. Does anyone know if these products are the same - just different sizes (gallon vs. quart) ? I found a good deal at ParkerYamaha.com but I don't want to buy the wrong stuff.

Thanks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DOH. I was wrong. What I thought was the oil filter up towards the front of the engine is not filter. After looking at a diagram at an online parts site, the filter is port side towards the back. Once you get your hand down there it's not too hard to get to

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have a cap filter wrench and a rachet to take off the filter. Some aftermarket filters (K&N) have a nut welded on top so you can use just a wrench next time. On part numbers the 12 is the case, not sure what the 04 is. I thought they used either 01 or QT/LT for 1. Might be the gallon size. Suck all oil out, turn it over, suck out again, and repeat. Sea-doo uses this technique to get most of the oil out but it doesn't matter much. Use a few rags under the oil filter to avoid spills.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a cap filter wrench and a rachet to take off the filter. Some aftermarket filters (K&N) have a nut welded on top so you can use just a wrench next time. On part numbers the 12 is the case, not sure what the 04 is. I thought they used either 01 or QT/LT for 1. Might be the gallon size. Suck all oil out, turn it over, suck out again, and repeat. Sea-doo uses this technique to get most of the oil out but it doesn't matter much. Use a few rags under the oil filter to avoid spills.
I'll be able to get it. I originally thought the oil filter was up front, there is something black up there that I thought was the oil filter and I was trying to figure out how the heck I was going to get at it. Where the filter actually is I can reach that. If it is too tight, I have a strap that is connected to a small bar. The bar has a hole in it for a screw driver, you turn the bar to tighten the strap then turn it with a screw driver and the strap breaks the filter loose. I have used it several times on the small filters on my cars and motorcycles. I should be good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts