Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the pwc world but was previously very handy with cars and would be grateful for any help.

Pardon my ignorance... Is there any difference between the "Riva air intake" and a intake that you can fab up yourself (for example: K&N and piping?). Is the riva intake just a piping and filter? or is there something between the pipe and intake manifold to prevent hydrolock? Is the Riva intake 3" in diameter?

For some reason my ski pulls great and runs strong, but only hits 48-50 mph on the Dream-o-meter...? Not sure what gives but im looking to get another 10 mph's out of it.

What was your best "bang for the buck" mod on your VX? and what kind of gains did you see?

I was thinking: air intake, grate, ride plate & prop? Does the exhaust mod make your ski too loud?

I purchased this ski for value, reliability and efficiency. Im NOT willing to sell my VX for something faster. High speeds aren't a huge deal, just about another 10 mph's. Any info is appreciated! Thanks again! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
A stock VX should run around 52 mph with a single rider. You can throw on all the mods out there, but I don't think you will get more than a 4-5 mph increase over that number. 10 mph increase with a VX is going to be difficult to achieve no matter what you do to it. I don't know about the air intake mod. Check speed with a gps, cause the speed-o on the ski will not be accurate.

Haven't added anything to my ski, but I'm considering intake grate, ride plate, and sponsons for better handling. My FX HO is already plenty fast for me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
question.... I just got the 06 vx110 and the only reason I did was the deal I found but also I took it out today and noticed it was lacking in the power I was wanting :( is there any supercharger?? or can you out in other engines? haha just wondering!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
No supercharger on a VX. Top speed should be around 52 mph on a stock VX. R & D Performance offers a performance package that they claim will get the VX up to 58 mph, but I'd say that is optimistic: R&D - Performance Kits - Yamaha - VX-110 - Performer Kit
RIVA Motorsports offers a package that claims to give you 55 mph which is probably a more accurate number with their kit: RIVA VX RPM Kit

The VX is sort of the "Honda Accord" of jet skis: reliable, great gas mileage, stable, easy to maintain, but not real fast.
My recommendation is to enjoy your VX as is, save your money and trade it in later on for a faster ski if you want more speed (Yamaha FZR/FZS for example). Remember speed comes at a price: higher price ski, more maintenance worries, plus you will be spending lots more time at the gas pump.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I agree, it is what it is. I have checked my speed by GPS 53 to 54 mph beside my buddy's bass boat. Im not sure how accurate this method is but it has to be close. I would enjoy the VX for what it is and save the money you would spend on mods for a faster ski. good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts