Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this new ski for a year now and I've gone through 3 mirrors on the left side already. It's nearly $75 each time to replace and the parts guy at the dealership has said that they've sold over 100 replacement mirrors since the beginning of the summer. Anyone else having this problem?
That was one of the three main things that I wanted on this ski compared to other that I looked at for the price and I'm a little put off by it for a few reasons...
1. they aren't that good for pulling a skier since you can't really see anything out of them because they are so low
2. they stick out just enough and are in the perfect position for hitting every dock that we've pulled up to.
3. If you pull them off, you're left with 4 huge holes in the hull that water can splash into and they don't sell plugs that fit the holes (or at least, I haven't found any yet)
4. The people at Yamaha have given no new solutions to the mirror problem when they know that hundreds of people are having the same problems with the mirrors.... I cannot find a single solution other than just taking the mirrors off and having the holes open. And it looks funny with no mirrors on it too!
Anyone else with this same problem? Anyone had this problem and figured out a solution to it? Please help! I'm not buying any more mirrors for this ski!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I took my mirrors off the second day I had the ski. Useless, and I had read too many stories like yours.
I replaced the mirrors with 5" black plastic cleats. Got the cleats at WallyWorld of all places, about $2.50 each. Holes lined right up. Used some stainless cap head screws, washers, and nuts - PERFECT. Unobtrusive, excellent tie spots, my solution to the mirror problem. Best mod I have made so far.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Can someone tell me if Wallyworld is Walmart? And if so, what department would I find the 5 inch black plasic cleats mentioned by Katoom--love the idea!

·
Registered
194 Posts
We took them off all our rentals. If any one needs mirrors I have 20 new ones for sale cheap.

Mirrors are cosmetic any way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Late Response

I just joined the forumn, and have the same pwc, and yes, the mirrors are useless. I am curious as to why you have to replace the mirrors. Do they get damaged, do they fall off and get lost? I have had mine for two years, but only have 12 hours on mine. I guess it's just a matter of time before this happens to me. What is the weirdest way you have lost them; just cruising around, wiping out??

·
Registered
29 Posts
The mirrors are breaking because they will hit the dock when the hull goes under the dock, mirrors take a beating. Maybe you can install a board on the dock even with the hull preventing the craft from going under it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just spent three days on a lake in the Western North Carolina Mountains, I kept the jet ski in the water at a boat dock. Could have never have done it without the cleats, a great mod.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Besides the Yamaha pop-up cleats, I saw Overtons sells a PWC pop-up cleat. Probably does not fit without drilling additional holes like the Walmart cleat but may be worth looking into if you are interested.

I use the Wally cleats, or at least one of them, every time I take the jetski out. They really shouldn't be sold without some some sort of cleat.

·
Registered
2 Posts
mirrors are dumb

like a bunch of you guys i have a 09 vx deluxe and we wanted to see if we could see with the mirrors and one broke off while we were trying to adjust it
the cleat idea would be a good one

·
Registered
2 Posts
I love the idea of the cleats. I have replaced two mirrors because of docks when I let visitors use our vx's, when we go to breakfast on the ski's. Walmart here I come.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts