Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2008 FX Cruiser HO Taking on Water Underway

This weekend I was on my 2008 Yamaha FX Cruiser HO and I took on enough water in ten minutes to completly cover up the battery (about 10 inches in the bilge). The next day I set the ski in the water for an hour and it didn't take on any water. I then started the engine and ran the motor while the ski was hooked to the trailer in the water and didn't take on water (at least not any more than the bilge pump could take care of). I took the ski out for another 10 minute ride and the ski once again took on enough water that it covered the battery and I was concered that it was going to sink. When I put the ski on the trailer no water came out. Does anyone have any advice on what is wrong?
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Most common cause for leaks would be a loose cooling hose connection or loose exhaust connection (usually past the water box). Check the hose connections and exhaust connections for a loose one. Take it home and run it on the hose and look for a leak.

Yamaha has even issued a Code 90 for the 06-08 FX HO models due to a problem with the cooling hoses and clamps failing and letting the ski fill with water. The Code 90 is just short of a recall, since Yamaha will not notify owners, they only fix the problem if you bring it in for service and they see that your ski is on the list. There have been many posts about this problem. Some guys have nearly sunk their skis because of the hose failure. I've got the exact same ski, and had a hose come off and nearly sink my ski. I called my dealer and already had my hoses and clamps replaced. You can call a Yamaha dealer, give them your HIN and they will look up your ski and tell you if you need the hose/clamp kit replacement. It is free even if you are not the original owner. Definitely get the hose/clamp replacement, even if the leak turns out to be something else.

Unfortunately in your case, I'd also be worried about a leak around the drive shaft seal, or the intake tunnel, since it seems to be worse when its moving, and your not seeing water when you run it on the trailer. It could still be a hose, and just not leaking, because there is less pressure when the ski is not moving. Usually running it on a hose will show up a cooling hose leak.

I'm guessing you already checked to see that the drain plugs are in and tight?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was the cooling hose and clamps

The dealer found the problem and it was the cooling hoses and clamps. They replaced them free of charge. Sure wish they would have notified me before this happened. Just the week before I had take the waverunner a few miles offshore into the Gulf of Mexico. If that would have happen then there would have been no way that I would have gotten back to shore underway.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
The dealer found the problem and it was the cooling hoses and clamps. They replaced them free of charge. Sure wish they would have notified me before this happened. Just the week before I had take the waverunner a few miles offshore into the Gulf of Mexico. If that would have happen then there would have been no way that I would have gotten back to shore underway.
Welcome to the "I almost sank my ski" club. I think it will probably take a law-suit to get Yamaha to react to the hose problem.

What is really weird to me, is that in Europe this problem was treated as a serious recall, and owners were notified in a letter that it was a problem that needed to be corrected. Why not the same here in the US????

1 - 5 of 5 Posts