Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to buy a vxr650 wave runner. The seller says it is a 1989 but from my online searches I found on iboats that this model was made starting in 1991. Is it possible that the seller hasn't looked at his registration and has the wrong year or were these really made in 1989?

Also, what should I look for to be sure this wave runner is in good mechanical condition. The seller said he put a new jet pump in last year. Is this a reliable wave runner? About how fast will it go. I read somewhere that this model doesn't turn real sharp but I am not too concerned about that. Is this a two seater? Any other advice will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a '92 (I think, cant remember lol). It has been very reliable (though it has started giving me some attitude on cold starts this last weekend). This is the only PWC I've had so I dont have much experience but it doesnt appear to turn as sharp as some. If you sit square on the seat it wont turn sharp at all but if you lean in hard it will cut a pretty tight turn. On tighter turns it will skip across the water making for some fun (I love it). Rough ride on choppy water with a lot of bow spray which I've grown to like (I'm there to get wet and cool down damnit).

It isnt stable with 2 people but that has lead to a lot of fun times as well. Getting the passenger on in open water takes skill and strength from both parties. Once you get it down it's not bad though. I should add that stability is fine with a little speed. It is fine even if it hasnt plained yet as long as you're on the throttle. I'm 5'11" and 187lbs, this weekend with my father (about the same ht/wt) riding passenger (and vice versa) we didnt have any problems getting a quick plane. It certainly isnt going to win any races but it has enough power to have a lot of fun. For me, the size is perfect, just wish it had some more muscle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the great detailed information. I haven't mine VXR 650 in the water yet and plan on riding single only so I should be okay. Up here in the Adirondacks the waters are still pretty cold.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lst 2 digets are the year in the vin
Thanks. I got the registration from the seller and it is a '91. I still haven't put it in the water yet. I stripped all the decals off, painted the hood blue and put on some yamaha decals I got from fastdecals.com. It looks a lot better than the original pink scheme.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts