Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good news!
I found the main source of water leaking into the hull. The water box "in" nozzle.
Just beginning to look for a new/used water box (87 js550) -

Could a leak in the water box disrupt and/or prevent the ski from starting while under load? It seems to me like the lack of back-pressure would cause an effect sort of like an opposite choke.

Any input appreciated!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Did your ski take on water while running or sitting still in the water ? My X2 will take on water is sitting in the water overnight. I have not figured out why yet. How did you determine it was the water box ? BTW, I saw on you tube where one guy had removed the water box. Don't know what effect that would have on the ski. If okay, it would be a cheap fix.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No water was taken in while sitting in the water.
If yours is, it could either be a crack in the hull or from the drive.
Removing the water box completely increases your chances to have water backed up into the exhaust and engine block - not good.
There are water boxes for the js550 on eBay and different aftermarket site for under $75.
Do you think having a hole in the water box could be preventing the machine from starting while in the water?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was reading more and you also run the risk of serious overheat from uncooled exhaust so you are correct in not wanting to remove the water box. Not completely sure of how the system works from end to end, but ( and different skis could be plumbed completely differently ) , if the water in the box is coming from pump pressure, then when restarting in the water should be with little or no water in the box. If that is the case, then restart should not be a problem, But if there is a lot of water in the box, maybe it could create enough back pressure to make starting difficult. Good luck with a solution.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts