Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay First off lets just say im not too mechanically inclined so work with me here :laugh:

I bought a 1990 JS 440 ski off this guy for 350 dollars, i do not beleive he winterized it last winter but when i got it the starter was sticking so i pulled it out lubed it up and it turns over now, i have new spark plugs and a new battery.

I pulled the spark plugs off to try to gap them to see if i could get it to start because it will only fire a little bit but wont actually run,
When i had the plugs out i left my hose running hooked up to my exhaust, about a minute went by then water started coming out of one cylinder and flowing out a spark plug hole.
I dont think water is supposed to run through this so could i get some opinions? im not sure what i need to replace but the ski is pretty solid except for this final problem.

Thanks for your time its much appreciated :D

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Not a good thing! You flooded your engine with hose water. Here is what you do. Take the spark plugs out and start the ski up. This may take a while but it will force the water through the spark plug holes. You may also need to re charge your battery if it dies. After all of the water is out, WD-40 the spark plug holes. Depending on how much water there is, you may even want to take the top of the motor off and tip the ski on the side to get a majority out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ah thanks i figured it out i was never told not to turn the hose on until after the ski is running, youd think thatd be common sense but nope.. pulled the plugs and turned it over for a while, got it back in the water and running in about 30 minutes runs great thanks!

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
No worries. I was flushing my stand up after doing some wave jumping in the ocean and when I got home I was starving so I put some food on the grill. I left only for a moment to flip the burgers and my jet ski stalled with the hose still running. Fortunately, it stalled right as I was coming back and I just happened to be by the hose spicket so I shut the hose off really quickly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts