Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help, sorry not a mechanic so forgive me for some of my terminalogy.
I have yamaha gpr 1200 two stroke (year 2000). I got it started after a few years of storage with not being started I had used starter fluid to help get it started. The next day I went and got new plugs figuring it would help it idle /run better. I went to start it and could not get it running. It was trying to turn over. So I went and got some starter fluid.
I took off plug (3 of them ) sprayed the cylinders it down and replaced plugs and put cords back on went to turn it over and it seized. I then took out plugs and there was water in cylinders. I had my hose connected to the factory intake for cooling with the little nozzle that comes with it. How did water get in the engine?
My only though it that is that the front end of the trailer was nose down and when water was trying to come out the rear it was back filling up the exhaust? is that possible. I took of the engine mount and the large pipe section right next to the engine and it was fill with water. What damage was done. Is it a matter of just opening everything and cleaning and letting it dry?
Regards
Robert
ps I can post pictures if necessay

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
The engine has to be running BEFORE you turn on the water hose, or the engine gets filled with water through the exhuast. You also have to turn off the water BEFORE you turn off the engine or the same thing happens.

Pull the plugs and crank the engine to clear the water. If you turn over the engine without clearing the water there is a good chance you will bend or break something inside the engine (water is not compressible). Put the plugs back, and start the engine on the hose to clear remaining water (Best to ride it, so you can really get it dry).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
water in engine

wow thanks I used it for 6 years not knowing that lol.
I will let you know how it goes

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
water in engine

thanks works great now. just took off head cover and part of the exhaust near head cover and cleaned out . replaced and then turned it over without plugs in till dry. then put in starter fluid a couple of times and got it running.
thanks
robert

1 - 4 of 4 Posts