Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been getting my 97 Monte Carlo 1000 ready for summer.I pulled the exhaust manifold and heads off cause I wanted to see the inside condition of the cylinders and pistons. I reassembled everything, and started it up, then turned on my flush kit.After running a minute or so, the engine stopped.Cranking it, I could tell it was locking up. I pulled the plugs and water shot out of the PTO side cylinder clear to the ceiling. I pulled the head again, and I think the inner o-ring blew out, filling the cylinder. I just got the o-ring shrank and reinstalled the head. Now when I crank the engine I get water squirting out of all three cylinders. Did I miss something when I reinstalled the exhaust manifold? It looks like the water is coming from the exhaust manifold into the cylinders. I do not even have the flush kit installed, and I can't figure out where all this water is coming from. I was going to try a compression test to see if I bent the rod on the PTO cylinder, but I can't do that till I get the water taken care of. Any ideas?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, so I figured out what happened. When I blew the head gasket, it let water pour in and completely filled the exhaust manifold and crankcase. I don't think I bent any connecting rods, since they don't look visibly bent to me. I'm not sure how to check to see if they are bent. I will do a compression test when I get the jugs back on. I spent over an hour with a blow gun blowing all of the water out of the crankcase. After doing that I filled a spray bottle with two cycle oil and doused all the bearings with it to try and keep any rust from forming while I wait for a gasket kit. All of this leads me to my real question. When you have the flush kit hooked up to your garden hose, how much pressure does it really take to cool the engine? Do you turn the thing on full blast, or crack it a little bit? Can you tell by how much water you have coming out of the exhaust?

·
Registered
209 Posts
On my 2 Kawi's, I start the engines, then turn on the hose just enough to get a modest flow from the pisser. You do not need full hose pressure as some of those small hoses and "zip-tie" clamps won't hold full pressure. Yes, a lot of water will flow out the exhaust. You should be able to hold your hand on the heads for a few seconds.... might feel hot, but not enough to burn your skin immediately. I don't like to run on the hose for long though anyway as the pump and hull bearings are not cooled by the hose. For long term testing, strap it to the trailer and back it into the lake.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I should be putting this back together this weekend. I am wanting to put new plugs into it, but don't know what kind to put in. Does anyone know what brand/PN to put into these and what the gap should be?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found the gap in a service manual I downloaded. Now I have it togehter and it kind of runs. It will start if I close the choke, but then will just rev up and die. I noticed on the bottom of each of the carbs there is a small hole on the mounting flange. The gasket in the kit I got does not leave these open. Does anyone know if the gasket is supposed to leave these open? The gaskets that came off of the thing when I first got it did not have them exposed, but that doesn't mean they were the wrong gaskets.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts