Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

So I have an issue with this Wave Venture 1100 triple that I just picked up. It had the oil injection fail on the previous owner, which caused the engine to sieze. He rebuilt the engine and hadn't had it in the water since. He was running the rebuilt engine on 32:1 premix, and I'm running it 40:1. If it hasn't been started in a few days, he showed me to spray a little fuel down into the carb. If not, it will crank for a while before it starts.

It runs fine out of the water, and in the water it idles nicely, but bogs down and stalls if I give it more than a small amount of throttle. It tops out at 6 mph with people on it, and a little higher without them. It takes a while to even get to 6 mph. I have to keep the throttle constant and low, and let off when it starts to bog down, or it stalls. It starts fine if it does, but then it's a slow trip back up to 6 mph lol.

I let it run for a bit, and it got a bit better, but not much. I could get it to plane, but I still can't give it much throttle. With constant throttle, the engine seems to sort of flutter a little bit up and down, as if i'm very slightly throttling up and then down every couple of seconds.

So, what's the problem?

I did a search and didn't find anything related for this model, but similar ones led me to believe that the problem is the carbs. I don't have a manual on the ski, and it's been a long time since I've done any carb work, so I need all the info you can give. If I clean the carbs, what exactly do I need to do, and what do I need to look out for? Same question goes for rebuilding them. What do I need to rebuild? What do I need to be careful about when rebuilding them?

Will it do anything to spray some carb cleaner down into one of the two plastic screws on top of the carbs, or is that a waste of time? How about the cleaner you put in the tank?

Where is a good place to buy parts?

I haven't had any luck locating a manual too... suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Do we have a step by step on the forum showing how to remove and/or clean the carbs? I got the cover off, but I don't want to do anything stupid while trying to remove the carbs...

Honestly, I'm just trying to clean them. I have some spray throttle body and carb cleaner, which worked great when I cleaned the throttle body on my truck last fall, but I took the throttle body off to clean it. Do I definitely need to remove the carbs to use the cleaner? The can says to spray it in the carb while it's running, but I'm wary about this, because I know that 2 stroke engines can be sensitive to some chemicals.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Are they Mikuni carbs? flatslides or roundslides? Have you checked the fuel filter? Check the grate to make sure there is no debris. It won't hurt to run some carb cleaner with the gas. I used to pour a shot of gas into the cylinders screw the plugs back in and my snowmobiles started right up when they wouldn't start and they are two strokes. If you can get the carbs off the mikunis have a main power jet in the bowl. Thats what you need to take and remove the main jet and inspect the jet for gunk clean and replace. Also check the floats for they may be sticking. Does your ski have a fuel pump if so check that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep. Mikiuni carbs. Three of them. lol. I plan on replacing the fuel filter. Where is a good place to buy it? It really just looks like there is gas/oil premix in there(blue). It doesn't look especially gunky, but I obviously can't see what is inside it.

Debris in the grate? not sure what you mean...

It has a fuel pump, and I've read that it could need a fuel pump rebuild...but i'm not sure how to do that either lol:

http://www.pwcforum.com/yamaha-jetski/4278-1996-yamaha-wave-venture-1100-a.html

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, I replaced the fuel filter, and then also cleaned out the carbs by pouring a couple of capfuls of sea foam in each one, letting it soak for a few minutes, then starting it and running it for 30 seconds. I started it a couple of times with a 15 min break in between so it wouldn't overheat.

It seems to run a bit better now, but to start of from a stop, I have to be easy on the throttle and run it with half-choke. After it gets about 6-8 mph, i put the choke back in, and it's fine. It seems like it is backfiring through the carb or something like that, because when i get on the gas from a start, it sputters like air is going out the air intake instead of in.

With some speed, it runs great, and I can go from nothing to full throttle without any problems.

I did have a problem starting it after it was beached for an hour or so, which is unusual, but i sprayed some fuel into the carbs and it started.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good Afternoon.
Ok so i know this thread is like 7 years old but i have 2 machines that is doing the same problem. One is a Venture 1100 and the other is a 97? 740. At idle it kind of runs. VERY little throttle will smooth out and be fine. Give a little more it sputters and dies.

With a little time i can give it enough that i decided to run. And run it does. Once you have the speed up it runs great. You can go from no throttle to full and all works. But if you let it slow to an idle then your back to the sputtering and dying.

I have had the carbs off and cleaned them out. All ports and jets seem to be clear. Runs no problem on land.

I also see several that say 45 tops....yep here also. Seems like that is running at full throttle.

So any help or light you can shine will be greatly appreciated.

J

·
Registered
2 Posts
I replaced the fuel pump kit on one and just cleaned the other.
After reading SEVERAL more threads I decided to adjust the low end adjustment. Sitting on the trailer they seemed to do much better.
Before even on the trailer they would bog down and die. Now they jump right up and run at full throttle. So hopefully they will be better in the water.

So maybe in a couple of weekends ill get back to some water and try them again.

Thanks for you help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts