Personal Water Craft Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1997 Yamaha WB2 that had a bad starter and starter relay. I replace the relay with an OEM one and the starter with an aftermarket SBT starter. While I was in there I checked all the power wires and they all were good. So I put the Jet Ski back together hooked up the hose and it fired right up. I tested that a few times then let it sit for a couple days. Then tested it again as I wanted to ensure It was fixed before taking the 3 hour trip bringing it back to the lake And worked great. Then pulled it to the lake, put it in the water and then “click” nothing.

Then brought the WB2 home and took the exhaust off and checked all my wires assuming something came loose, but nothing was loose So I put it back together.

I then did the following:
Tested the battery and checked out with 12.62V

Tested the starter relay using a test light and the battery side has constant power and the starter side has power when start button is clicked.

Unpluged all connections from the handle bars and cleaned them as I previously took the lanyard/start button assembly apart to ensure it was in good working condition and it was good.

After all the I still get the one click then nothing when I hit the start button. Now I’m at. A loss as to what it could be so looking for help.

Thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you are getting power down to the positive post on the starter and all you are getting is a "click," then I would say that your problem is the SBT starter. Historically, I have not had good luck with aftermarket starters. One starter spun but did not engage the secondary gears to turn the engine over. The other one made a "thud" sound and would not turn the engine over. If you have the original Yamaha starter, I would have it rebuilt if there is an electrical repair shop in your area. The shop in my town charges $50 to rebuild a starter. If not, I would purchase a used, working Yamaha starter on eBay. You should probably remove the SBT starter and bench test it to see if it works. If not, it may have a replacement warranty from SBT that you can utilize. Let us know how you resolve this issue. Bill.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bill,

I called SBT and of course they said it was my starter relay even after I told them it checked out with a test light. But none the less today I’m going to try jump the starter relay with a screwdriver and see if it could be the issue. if that’s not the case then I’ll take the exhaust and get down to the starter to take it out again. I was trying to avoid that as I’ll need to order yet another exhaust gasket. Good thing they’re cheep.

thanks again

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I assume bench testing it is as easy as clamping the starter to the bench then use a set of leads to a battery or a jumper pack then just conned them?

If so I have done that and I get nothing but sparks. I also tried to spinthe starter by hand and it’s immovable. Not sure if that’s normal or not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
well bought a used starter off eBay threw it in and it fired right up.
However I ensued the exhaust gasket that connects to the head and it’s leaking a very small amount of water out the top of the gasket but plenty of water going through the cooling system.
Is this going to be a problem that needs to be addressed right away with a new gasket or something I can ride on for a couple weekends then fix it over the winter?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts