Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder why the rubber is bonded to the aluminum base on these engine mounts, seems like they could have designed it better. I thought I would just epoxy it back together or just use a longer screw and put a locknut and washer at the bottom to hold it together, either way is better than spending a bunch of money on new ones.

rhutson in NC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
323 Posts
Your choice, but if you epoxy it be prepared to do the job again. Its actaully a pretty good design allowing flexibility for the drive line. Remember, if you get it wrong you will destroy drive shafts and thats a whole bunch more money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
The guy that had my WR LX before me tried to epoxy them back together. I ended up replacing all 4 of them because they all came apart. You can get aftermarket ones from Dennis Kirk and save yourself a few bucks compared to the dealer's price.

John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was broken for awhile because it was all cruddy on the aluminum where it would have been glued. The rubber is fine, the aluminum base is fine, I'll think about it and let you all know what I do. Seems like there are a lot of broken ones out there, maybe I can make it better.

rhutson in NC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK

OK, you all talked me out of it, I'm buying a new mount. I see the mechanics behind it, effectively if I bolt it, it would eliminate the rubber cushion, I got it.

Thanks, rhutson
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
I would recommend doing all four of them or at least the one that is impossible to get to when the exhaust is in place. I replaced both the back ones when I had the exhaust off of mine last month and the one front one last year. The only one not done is very easy to get to and very firm so I left it alone.

John
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top