Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently auquired a 1997 gp760 waverunner that ran fine except for a slight miss when I first had it on the lake this season. The next time it did the same only after about an hour, it started bogging severely and would not even plane. Following this, I changed the plugs and filter just to have a reoccurance of the same problem. The difference was that it ran fine (with a slight miss) for about 20 min, started bogging for some time (was away from dock and had to crawl at 4-5 mph for 30 min to get back), then out of nowhere ran utterly perfectly for 10 min, and then started bogging yet again.
I am thinking maybe spark plug wires are messed up, lack of compression, trash in the lines or simply water in the gas.
I am in desperate need of any helpful input on this prob. I've already lost 2 weekends to it. Oh, and if it makes a difference, I also had to replace a worn gasket in the exhaust that was causing water from the cooling system to leak into the hull and I belive the ski may be running a little hot. (exiting water ismore than warm to touch) Thanks ahead for any suggestions!

·
Registered
323 Posts
You mentioned a few potential problems there. Have you checked compression? have you checked the carbs for dirt and crap inside them and in the fuel lines? have you checked the spark with a spark tester?
You should always check the spark whilst the engine still has the plugs in so the engine stays under load. However, by your comments you should check the carbs and fuel system.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info man.
I ended up having to swap it after the cylinders started tapping the electrodes on the plugs. It wasn't that big of a deal since i had another engine. but its all up and runing perfect now. now time for mods. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts