Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a '91 Waverunner III 650, had it for over a year now, it's always started and ran great.

Just this week, we were out on a lake for a few days camping. During one of the excursions we rode for only about 5 minutes, then made a stop at some island. 10 Minutes later we went to leave, but the jetski wouldn't start. Tried for several minutes to no avail. Fortunately I have 2 jetskis and used the other one to tow it and my family back (several trips, we had been doubling on both).

Back on shore, tried for about 30 minutes. It has a primer installed, and when I pumped it there was definately some air in the lines, but I think this has always been the case with this ski. A few times the motor seemed to catch for maybe 1 second then die. Fuel filter is new, plugs and boots are new. When I opened the gas cap, there was some air movement, not sure if it was suction or pressure.

Anyway, I finally gave up. But about an hour later I tried it again, and it started right away, and ran great for the rest of the trip. Including starting/stopping.

Any ideas what may have caused this 'blip' ? I'd really like to solve it and fix it so I don't get stranded again.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Could be the first sign of a starter motor going bad. Other possibility is stator coils starting to go bad. Heat from running the ski making the problem show up, but that doesn't explain why it started fine the rest of the time, unless you didn't get it real hot.

Other possibility would be an air block in the fuel system.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could be the first sign of a starter motor going bad. Other possibility is stator coils starting to go bad. Heat from running the ski making the problem show up, but that doesn't explain why it started fine the rest of the time, unless you didn't get it real hot.

Other possibility would be an air block in the fuel system.
Starter motor ?? It had no problem turning over, quickly too, I think the starter motor is fine.

I'm leaning more towards the air block in the fuel system. It didn't even have a chance to get real hot right before it happened, only about a 5 minute ride.

Any idea how an air block could occur ?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
If it were happening all the time, I might have some ideas (like a bad check valve), but since it was a 1 time thing, I'd guess that it was just some quirk in the way the fuel sloshed around.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Did you try to start it right after removing the fuel cap? You may have a clogged tank vent resulting in a vacuum inside the tank.

Kurt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts