Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 XLT 1200 and I have a problem with it. When I try to give it throtle (in water) it seems to rev and die out. We an almost seem to work our way up to speed gently but when we get on it it just seems to spin. We think its a prop problem but we wanted to get some verifacation before we bought a prop for it. Any iformation would help us greatly. Thank you.

·
Registered
323 Posts
DO you mean that the engine dies upon quick acceleration or the engine revs and the ski cavitates? If it is cavitating, probably the pump shoe seal has finally blown out. To rectify the problem, you can seal the pump shoe up with sikaflex and/or install a pump plug kit. You must also check your impeller for any damage and excessive gap between it and the liner. If the engine is dying upon acceleration, it will need a carb and fuel system clean out.
And no, a bit of additive in the fuel wont do the job, carbs must be removed and thoroughly cleaned.

·
Registered
20 Posts
it's FI but I am going to check all of the injectures fuel filters and pump tonight.. I bought a d-plate to eliminate the cat convertor and than found out last night that someone already did that! so now I am out almost 120 and the shop doesnt want to return it!!!

This really sucks though it's NO FUN! I did suck up a rope a week ago, but I cut it all out!? Could the rope have got past the blade and into something else and be stuck where I can't see it from the outside?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Fuel injected hey. All the Australian versions are carbs in 2001. I don't thing any rope will be causing this problem. If it is fuel injection they will have traction control. Which means if you do have have damage on the impeller from the rope, and when you accelerate which will cause cavitation, the trac control may kick in killing the motor. I've seen this happen on a few GPR1300's here is AUS.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts