Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2013 waverunner this spring and suspecting that this is filled with salt corrosion. The ski has 151 hours and runs great for about 20min and then overheats. I have flushed it out with a hose and it runs cool on the trailer. I checked the inlet and its clear too. BUT when you run on the lake JUST the engine block get really hot and it overheats. The left pisser is flowing water but it overheats.I Is there anything I can do? Or is this a very expensive engine teardown to get the salt out?

·
Registered
588 Posts
I purchased a 2002 FX140 Waverunner Cruiser in 2003. I bought it new from a dealer. Over the years I have developed the opinion that the achilles-heel of the jet-skis and jet-boats is the sand filled cooling system. I have twice had my engine disassembled for sand-salt-mineral deposits. I will save you the circumstances around how it happened. The most recent clogging of the cooling system... I wanted NOT to believe it. I wanted to blame it on faulty sensors but I secretly knew I was faced with removing the head. Regardless of my problems I am completely sold on the MR-1 engine. My hope is to replace my boat (with outboard) with a jet-boat. Over they years I have not heard of a test to confirm there is sand in the water-jacket. My personal rule-of-thumb is that when the engine is running there must be a minimum of 1ft and preferably 2ft of water underneath the intake grate. I am sorry you are having this difficulty. I know the saga very well.

·
Registered
588 Posts
This was a glorious place to spend the afternoon. Only problem was that the ski was stuck and unknown to me, the river was filling the cooling system with river sand. I assisted the river by pulling the ski in a backwards direction to get free

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm always paranoid and pull my ski out to 3' of water or so before starting it, and I always shut it off in about 3' of water, but I often don't bother dropping an anchor, I just pull the skis to shore and shove them into the beach so they stay there. Would this cause sand to get pulled inside even if the motor is off?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Vigilante397, It could if there is sand in the pump tunnel when you start it. But if you push it around a bit or hold it pointed into the waves to wash it out you should be ok. They do make filters for the cooling supply line. There clear so you can see when it's filling up.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I'm always paranoid
Cannot blame you for being paranoid. The filter sounds like a good idea as long as it does not reduce the cooling to much. The way my brain works is that there is always going to be a grain of sand or two that will find its way into the engine. Just have to fight it. I replace props on my boat so it is always going to be something

1 - 6 of 6 Posts