Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2000 Yamaha XL800. It ran fine before I moved. Last year, I tried to start it and there was nothing...no current to the gauges. It would start to turn if I jumped the starter solenoid. I took it to a Yamaha repair shop and was told the gauge cluster needed to be replaced. I recently replaced the gauge cluster and start/stop switch (both brand new) and I now have electricity going to the meters. However, now when I go to turn the engine over, I hear a clunk in the engine as the starter tries to turn for a split second. After that, nothing. I have noticed some whitish smoke coming from the positive lead on the starter motor in the engine. With the battery disconnected, I have tried to turn the impeller from the aft end of the craft with a broom handle but couldn't turn it. I have not tried to jump the solenoid again since I replaced the gauges.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sounds a lot like the problems I had with my 2001 XL 800. Replaced the solenoid, no good. Rod thrown, rebuilt once, now twice. Repair guy says common problem.????
Rode it this morning for the first time this season, 52 mph, purrs like a kitten. 10 years on the ski. Enjoyed most every minute of it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not Your engine so fast!!

While it is possible that engine is locked up, it is more than likely your impeller is stuck. When you hit the start button, if then engine shifts a bit, then its your impeller. The smoke at the starter was from overworking it. But again, if the engine actually torques slightly your impeller housing needs to be replaced as they have a tendancy to swell as there is a stainless sleeve inside of a aluminum housing and corrosion can get between them, swelling and binding the impeller.

If the engine makes a noise but doent shift slightly when you hit start, then its your engine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts