Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yesterday was our first day back on the lake and it started out a bit scarry! I cleaned up my 2 ski's, charged and installed the battery's and headed down to the lake. Unloaded both ski's a took off only to have the ski I was on not accelerate past 3500 RPM's. Max speed was a painful slowly attained 30 MPH :(
Being an IT guy, I tried to "reboot" a few times by powering it off and on, but no change. I ran the ski around the cove a couple of times and told my wife who was on the properly running ski that I was going to head back to the dock and put my ski up. I was creeping back to the dock when all of a sudden I performed a running holeshot, almost losing my daughter off the back :) From that point on, and for the next 5 hours the ski ran flawlessly as usual.

My question, WHY? I do have limited experiece with EFI tuning on automobiles. I know for example the the EEC system on Ford's have what they call limp mode. If it senses a major malfunction it shuts any performance capability down, limites the RPM, and allows you to "limp" back home or to a dealer, etc. Does anyone know if the EFI on the Honda's have this type of thing and could this be what happened? My other concern is if the computer thought it had a problem what to expect from here?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Brian

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yes, F12X
Oooo, Ooooo, I think I know the answer! There is some corrosion and the wastegate actuator is sticking. ;)

·
Registered
811 Posts
Oooo, Ooooo, I think I know the answer! There is some corrosion and the wastegate actuator is sticking. ;)
Thats where I was going, according to our Honda expert, most common problem with Turbo Hondas , is lack of post ride maintenance. He says you must lubricate the actuator rod to the waste gate. This is to prevent it from sticking due to corrosion. The problem is worse when ridden in saltwater. Thats one reason I don't own a Honda.:thumbsdown:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks, I'll check it. One other question, wouldn't the motor still rev even without the turbo working, Well alone the wastegate not opening? It would not rev past 3500 rpm, I would thing the wastegate would just limit performance.

I thought that the wastegate was only operational when you let off the throttle or to reduce the amount to boost. It basicaly dumps the compressed air to the atmosphere much like a blowoff valve does. What am I missing here?

Brian

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thanks, I'll check it. One other question, wouldn't the motor still rev even without the turbo working, Well alone the wastegate not opening? It would not rev past 3500 rpm, I would thing the wastegate would just limit performance.

I thought that the wastegate was only operational when you let off the throttle or to reduce the amount to boost. It basicaly dumps the compressed air to the atmosphere much like a blowoff valve does. What am I missing here?

Brian
The computer would be programmed to fuel according to what it thinks the machine is getting for boost. The wastegate controls the spooling of the turbo and it can get stuck open or closed or somewhere in between. You could be producing too much boost or in your case not enough boost. The computer told the actuator to produce boost and it doesn't know that the rod is stuck so it's fueling like there is boost and dumping too much fuel for how much air is available resulting in a nasty bog thus limiting your rpms. Remember that the impeller is a direct drive and so it takes hp to get rpms.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Your wastegate solenoid is suffering from internal corrosion and was stuck shut. With out it bleeding off pressure the waste gate began to open as soon as the boost reached the "Crack Pressure" [8PSI] for the wastegate actuator. The wastegate being open kept you from developing the 12.8 stock boost. Read up on waste gate solenoids on PWCTODAY.COM Honda forums. Fogging it before winter layup at the turbo inlet protects the WGS from corrosion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts