Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking at the VX Cruiser but was wondering if I can waterski easily behind it. I am 185 lbs and like a quick hole shot. Or should I spring for the FX Cruiser with the larger engine?? Just curious if the 110HP will be enough with the VX? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
811 Posts
I am looking at the VX Cruiser but was wondering if I can waterski easily behind it. I am 185 lbs and like a quick hole shot. Or should I spring for the FX Cruiser with the larger engine?? Just curious if the 110HP will be enough with the VX? Any thoughts?
Hey there, legally you need a three seater in most states. This so you can pick up a downed skier while still having an observer on board. Having said that I think I would opt for a larger engine to accomidate two riders while pulling a skier out and up plus if you slalom ski it won't drag the ski down as easy. Remember your not just dragging a tube. It is also less of a load for the bigger engine.

See Ya,:juggle2:

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
The VX is a 3 person ski and will pull a skier (I would't try a slalom skier), tube, wakeboarder, etc., but I'd recommend the larger FX or even better the FX HO for towing. The VX feels a little un-balanced towing or with 3 passengers. I can pull 2 adults on a heavy tube with my FX HO with no problems. I've tried towing my brother's 2 kids behind his VX and it works, but you really feel it on the ski. If you are pulling an adult and need holeshot go for the FX HO or SHO. The newer model FX HO and SHO also have a cruise assist that is nice for towing, since it allows you to easily maintain a constant speed or bump it up or down slightly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks everyone for all the info. I agree the HO may be better, but according to my dealer he claims they have had both out on the water and due to the increased weight of the FX there is not that much of a difference in towing performance unless you move up to the SHO supercharged version. He said the boat will pull around a little more but he has not heard that it has been an issue for anyone. Being a four stroke he said it has ample torque down low. I had him price out the FX cruiser HO and the difference is about $3000. For that price differential I think I can live with the VX cruiser. Hey it's a Yamaha, my guess is that I will be lucky to put 20 hours a year on it, with the four stroke engine it should last a long time. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Yea the VX is hard to beat on price, and it is the most reliable and fuel efficient ski on the market. They upgraded the 2010 VX and it is supposed to be more stable and comfortable to ride, I don't think you will have any problems with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I pulled the trigger on the 2010 VX cruiser. I could not pass it up for under $8K. I won't be able to use it for another three weeks though, so I will pick it up at the end of the month. woohoo!:D:D

·
Registered
811 Posts
Well I pulled the trigger on the 2010 VX cruiser. I could not pass it up for under $8K. I won't be able to use it for another three weeks though, so I will pick it up at the end of the month. woohoo!:D:D

:appl: Congrats, Good luck with it.:cheers:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
$7200 + tax and license. My dealer had only three left. There is a rebate he said that goes to the dealer. I was looking at an 07 for $6000 so I thought this was a great price.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree, that's a great price. I am still waiting to hear back on a Yamaha VX Cruiser quote. I have a quote on Kawasaki 15Fs @ 7600 each for a pair of skis.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree, that's a great price. I am still waiting to hear back on a Yamaha VX Cruiser quote. I have a quote on Kawasaki 15Fs @ 7600 each for a pair of skis.
I would hope that your dealer can put a good package together on the VX's, here in MN we have a short season so prices tend to come down after the 4th of July as we only have until early Sept to use them. Good luck on whatever you decide!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts