Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum and was reading a post about turning the water on after the motor is running and turning it off after shutting the engine off. What issues could arise if it was done wrong?

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Bobby11, welcome aboard.
Proper procedure are as follows: get everything ready. Start motor, turn on water, let flush for 5 to 6 minutes. Blip the throttle now and then. Turn off water. Blip the throttle a couple times to blow water out of system. then shut off motor.

My recommendation is to get a hose valve to put on the end of the hose. See pic. This way you can control the water at the ski.
Running the water with the ski off will cause the water to back up into motor thru the exhaust. When this happens if not delt with emmediately will ruin the motor.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Bobby11, welcome aboard.
. Start motor, turn on water, let flush for "5 to 6 minutes"
Hello Dave,

I'm not questioning your experience, (I have much faith in your knowledge of PWC's), but I'm confused now on the amount of time that a ski can be run out of water on a hose?
This is the first time that I've heard the time length of "5 to 6 minutes". I've been using the "1-2 minutes max, or carbon seal damage can occur", or is this time-frame just being very conservative?

I'm mostly concerned about running my machine out of water for salt-water flushing purposes. So do you feel that 1-2 minutes is sufficient for this?

Thanks,
Maxx

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Getwet2018, you are correct. I jumped the gun here. And should have inquired as to ski make first.

All this is figuring on flushing while still wet. All pump seals are cooled and or lubricated by water when riding. If they've been out of the water long you should hose the pump out first to wet seals.

The Yamaha no issue with 4/6 minutes. It uses rubber seals lubed by grease from inside and cooled by water external.
The seadoo you should shorten flush time to about 1/3 minutes tops. As it does have a carbon seal that can be overheated. This seal is both cooled and lubed by water. Flush time would depend apon wether your riding fresh or salt water. Less if fresh water, longer for salt.

If riding salt water be sure to flush with "salt away" or "salt Terminator" to nutrulize salt on all ski's and boats.

What does the Seadoo owners manual say for time on flushing?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Getwet2018, you are correct. I jumped the gun here. And should have inquired as to ski make first.

All this is figuring on flushing while still wet. All pump seals are cooled and or lubricated by water when riding. If they've been out of the water long you should hose the pump out first to wet seals.

The Yamaha no issue with 4/6 minutes. It uses rubber seals lubed by grease from inside and cooled by water external.
The seadoo you should shorten flush time to about 1/3 minutes tops. As it does have a carbon seal that can be overheated. This seal is both cooled and lubed by water. Flush time would depend apon wether your riding fresh or salt water. Less if fresh water, longer for salt.

If riding salt water be sure to flush with "salt away" or "salt Terminator" to nutrulize salt on all ski's and boats.

What does the Seadoo owners manual say for time on flushing?
Dave,

I checked the owners manual, it says, with water supplied to exhaust system, never run more than 2 minutes.
My machines are only used in salt water, I live on Long Island.
Thanks again for the info, have a great summer.

Bryan

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Bryan, Thanks for that info. Also for keeping me on tack. I forget that the Seadoo,s use the ceramic/carbon seal ring.
Ride safe my friend.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts