Personal Water Craft Forum banner

What is the fastest accelerating and top speed PWC from the showroom?

33K views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  5.0stang 
#1 ·
I am looking for the fastest accelerating and/or top speed PWC (stock) from the showroom?

Is it the Yamaha FX SHO, Sea-Doo RXP, etc.?

What kind of power are each of the "top-dogs" running around?

Thanks.

#2 ·
Steer clear of sea doo. You will visit service more than you want.

Yamaha is currently the fastest. Most reliable as well. You will never hit the service dept unless you pay for the oil changes that you can do yourself.

Or...if you screw it up, they just don't break. Ask around:appl:

#5 ·
100% concurrence on Sea Don't.

I have LONG been a fan of Yamaha and Kawasaki small engines, and wouldn't hesitate to own either (whether on a PWC, motorcycle, or just about any other application). The primary reason I went Kawasaki over Yamaha was seat configuration and price. To me the reliability is a functional tie between the two.

#9 ·
Sea-Doo engines tend not to last. I don't know what specifically goes bad, because what I usually hear is, "it blew up." I would guess a manifold, and resulting catastrophic damage before it slows down, but I suppose people could be cracking the blocks. The motorcycle companies are pretty good at this high-revving engine thing.

Nothing "comes" with a trailer, but it is easy to get one included. When I bought my Kawi a few weeks ago I got a discount on the boat, a free Triton trailer (which I like a lot), a huge discount on the extended warranty, and a few other freebies (towards accessories).

As for max performance starts, remember, that doing that a whole lot is a good way to cook the engine. Besides, when you are out riding, maintaining a good speed is a LOT more fun than coming down from a plane and starting over.

I am not surprised the Yamaha is a little quicker than the Kawi, based on displacement, but you should ride a NON-supercharged and see what you think, then find out what the maintenence differences are for the supercharged. I personally don't like turbo- and superchargers, but that is left over bias from the '80s when they all sucked.

shooter

#12 ·
No clue on the HP figures for the Yamaha, but I can tell you I wouldn't store a jet ski in the water without a ride-on dock or a lift, and even then I would prefer to pull it out of the water for the non-riding months.

Even in fresh water, you can't really maintain a boat properly in the water, it needs to come out. Also, you should be winterizing, and storing properly for the offseason.

shooter

#14 ·
Found some more info:

Displacement is a very generous 1.8 liters, and its power is boosted by a gear-driven supercharger and an intercooler. Unlike the previous M1 engines, which peaked at a screaming 10,000 rpm, this new motor tops out at a relaxed 7500 rpm. The engine makes 211 horsepower, which looks bad on the spec chart in a class that includes the 250-hp Kawasaki Ultra 250X and the 255-hp Sea-Doo RXT-X, but there’s more to performance than pure horsepower. With about 15 gallons of fuel on board, I clocked the SHO at 67.4 mph on GPS, and zoomed from zero-to-30 in 2.02 seconds. This boat will hang right in there with the Ultra and RXT-X.

Now I am wondering if it is actually faster?

More great info below!

2008 Yamaha WaveRunner FX SHO Review : personalwatercraft.com

#15 ·
Also found this:

For those who havent read the article yet here are some of the stats from the Dream Demo.

I stole these from GH.

Kawasaki Ultra 250X
Top speed 66.6 mph
0-30 1.8 sec
0-60 5.1 sec
30-50 1.6 sec
Fuel consumption at 35mph 7.8 gph
Fuel consumption at WOT 24 gph

Sea-doo RXT-X
Top speed 67.2 mph
0-30 1.5 sec
0-60 4.9 sec
30-50 1.7 sec
Fuel consumption at 35 mph 6.8 gph
Fuel consumption at WOT 20.6 gph

Yami SHO
Top speed 66.7 mph
0-30 1.9 sec
0-60 5.4 sec
30-50 1.7 sec
Fuel consumption at 35 mph 7.7 gph
Fuel consumption at WOT 21.7 gph

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.