Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I joined this forum to get some info on what to buy. I am looking for something fast and reliable. I was wondering what are some of the best makes and models to look for? I know there are some models to stay away from, I just would like somebody that has experience to give me some insight on the good and bad. Thanks for everybodies help!

·
Registered
811 Posts
I joined this forum to get some info on what to buy. I am looking for something fast and reliable. I was wondering what are some of the best makes and models to look for? I know there are some models to stay away from, I just would like somebody that has experience to give me some insight on the good and bad. Thanks for everybodies help!
It would be helpful to know some facts.

Do you want a new or preowned ski?

Do you want a three seat or two?

What is your budget?

Salt water or fresh?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm looking at preowned with a max budget of $6000. Freshwater only and it doesn't matter whether 2 or 3 seats.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I'm looking at preowned with a max budget of $6000. Freshwater only and it doesn't matter whether 2 or 3 seats.
Ok, here is my suggestions:

2006-2007 Seadoo RXT/ RXP 215 HP, RXT 65-67 mph, RXP 67-70 mph. The only caviot is the 2006's need to have thrust washers upgraded to stainless steel.

I personally would stay away from used Kawasaki ULTRA 260 and 250. Also I would stay away from used Hondas with turbos due to unknown maintenance history.

There are some decent Yamahas but stay away from two strokes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have seen some 2 stroke yamaha's that I was interested in. Also some ultra 250's. What kind of problems would I be asking for if I went with either one??

·
Registered
811 Posts
Ok, two strokes are old school. They are more expensive to operate. They are very inefficent because of the nature of a two stroke engine. You have to worry about oil injection and carrying expensive injection oil. They put out way more pollution than 4 strokes. They don't last as long and foul plugs.

The 2007 Ultra 250 are notorius for complete engine failure due to poor crankshafts. They are known in general for poor reliability.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Look at the new Yamaha 2011 VXR/VXS models. Sort of a VX with Yamaha's largest displacement engine (1800cc) non-supercharged. YamahaVXR (2011-) Reviews,performance,compare,price,warranty, specs,Reports,Specifications Layout, video | BoatTEST.com The engine has been out since 2008 and is reliable. Most problems have been associated with the supercharged version of this engine, which is found on the SHO and FZR/FZS models, and even those problems are few. The VXR/VXS according to the above test can do 68 mph stock, and would be very upgradable for those that need more speed. It comes at a good price, and should be reliable. The ride would be sporty (somewhat bouncy and wet).

For a more family type machine, I'd look at the FX HO. Very stable, dry ride. All the bells and whistles that come on the more expensive SHO and FZR/FZS, but no supercharger to worry about, and much better gas mileage. It has the same 1800cc engine in the other models (except the VX110), but is a little bigger, with more storage space and more stability. It will do around 63-65 mph stock, and is also upgradable if you really need more speed.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I agree with Ernest. If you can get up the extra coin this a good 4 stroke ski.
MSRP is $11,199.00. If not then Ernest T can help with the older VX series.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Ok, two strokes are old school. They are more expensive to operate. They are very inefficent because of the nature of a two stroke engine. You have to worry about oil injection and carrying expensive injection oil. They put out way more pollution than 4 strokes. They don't last as long and foul plugs.

The 2007 Ultra 250 are notorius for complete engine failure due to poor crankshafts. They are known in general for poor reliability.
I agree about staying away from the Kawasaki Ultra 250/260. To many failure stories with those skis. But there is nothing wrong with a 2 stroke. My recommendation for the OP would be a late model Yamaha GP1300r if he wants a fast ski. He could get a really nice 07 or 08 model for $6 grand. Or a used RXP/RXT would be a good choice too.

If you want a bullet proof 4 stroke get a Kawasaki STX 12/15f I heard only good things about those skis.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Right now I'm looking at
07 yamaha fx cruiser HO with less that 30 hrs. for $6400
07 seadoo rxp with 24 hrs. for $6000 (not sure if supercharged or not)
07 yamaha gp1300r with 34 hrs. for $5900
07 seadoo rxp with 25 hrs. not supercharged for $6250

·
Registered
811 Posts
Seadoo is the logical choice

Right now I'm looking at
07 yamaha fx cruiser HO with less that 30 hrs. for $6400
07 seadoo rxp with 24 hrs. for $6000 (not sure if supercharged or not)
07 yamaha gp1300r with 34 hrs. for $5900
07 seadoo rxp with 25 hrs. not supercharged for $6250
First of all Seadoo did not make a non supercharged RXT/RXP. The horse power is 215. Why would they desacrate their top of the line muscle craft by putting in a 155 hp motor:eek:. Maybe a GTX 155. Buy the best RXP you find if you want to smoke everything on your list. If you want a minivan buy the FX HO, if you have a problem with mosquitoes buy the GP 1300. None of them will hang with RXP. With RIVA STAGE III kit the RXP will do 80 mph. The Ferrari red is a hot color also.

There ya have it.:git:

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
First of all Seadoo did not make a non supercharged RXT/RXP. The horse power is 215. Why would they desacrate their top of the line muscle craft by putting in a 155 hp motor:eek:. Maybe a GTX 155. Buy the best RXP you find if you want to smoke everything on your list. If you want a minivan buy the FX HO, if you have a problem with mosquitoes buy the GP 1300. None of them will hang with RXP. With RIVA STAGE III kit the RXP will do 80 mph. The Ferrari red is a hot color also.

There ya have it.:git:
Yes they did the RXP that is. Luckily it was only for 2007 and 2008 I believe.

2007 Sea-Doo RXP™ (155 hp) Watercraft

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've heard a lot of bad things about the quality and reliability of seadoo's. Is that something that was with the older ones or is there cerain issues I should be aware of?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Wow, I stand corrected never saw or heard of it before. I' ll bet they didn't sell many. What a poser ski. I wouldn't buy the 155 in the RXP for the shear fact it wouldn't do the name justice.

As far as reliability goes I said earlier if you get a 2007 and up supercharged RXP there is no need to upgrade the thrust washers to stainless in the supercharger. 2006 and older you need to change them out. The other thing is eventually like some other skis the wear ring wears out. Other than that there is just normal maitenance.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Bombardier the owner of BRP (Bombardier Recreational Products) is a huge corporation. They produce Skidoo snowmobiles, Seadoo jet skis and boats, Fishhawk fishing boats, Evinrude engines, Can Am Spyders and four wheelers. The only other PWC manufactuer that can compare is Yamaha. So there you have the top two. I agree that Seadoos ten years and older were not as reliable. But now they have surpassed competitors in technology, In my opinion. The new 4 stroke engines are very dependable. They are european built in Austria then shipped to Canada for assembly.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
I've heard a lot of bad things about the quality and reliability of seadoo's. Is that something that was with the older ones or is there cerain issues I should be aware of?
It's nonsense. I owned many Doos never had any major problems.

Bombardier the owner of BRP (Bombardier Recreational Products) is a huge corporation. They produce Skidoo snowmobiles, Seadoo jet skis and boats, Fishhawk fishing boats, Evinrude engines, Can Am Spyders and four wheelers. The only other PWC manufactuer that can compare is Yamaha. So there you have the top two. I agree that Seadoos ten years and older were not as reliable. But now they have surpassed competitors in technology, In my opinion. The new 4 stroke engines are very dependable. They are european built in Austria then shipped to Canada for assembly.
The Rotax 2 strokes were very reliable. Only latest the 951 had some problems. Otherwise the 587,657/720, and 800 engines were all bulletproof.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts