Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’m new here.. and I’m trying to figure out my best bet. I’m itching for a ski and I’m currently looking at Yamaha gp1200rs and gp760s. I don’t wanna go over $3k and I just want to get something for the summer. I already have 2 I can look at. A 2000 gp1200r millennium and a 2000 gp760. I hear a lot of pros and cons about the gp1200r but really only good about the 760. I’m stuck between which one I want. I know there’s a hp difference and top speed difference. But I want something I won’t have tons of problems with and can just have fun at the lake with. Any info or tips on what to look for when looking at both, pros and cons, major problems, reliability, etc would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Beck, welcome to the forum.
These are always the hardest of questions to answer. There are just so many variables.
Assuming both skis are in compareble condition. The 760 would probably be the most reliable. That being said the 1200 can be made fairly reliable with the proper modifications. Such as the wave eater clips on the valves. carb mods Exc.

As for things to look for. General condition of the hull, inside and out. any deep scratches on the bottom. If deep enough to have fiberglass showing will need to be addressed. Does it still have oil injection or premix. Does it appear to be well maintained. Not Gerry rigged. Check the impeller from front and rear. It should show no nicks on the leading or trailing edges. It's always preferable to take it for a ride. But that's not always feasible. At the very least run it on the hose. You should check and record the compression of each cyl. This will tell a lot about condition of the top end of the motor.
How mechanically minded are you. Either will require yearly servicing and repair.

All this is just my personal opinion. And there may be some items I overlooked and will update if I think of any. I have 2 vxr pro's both using the 700 version of the 760. Both vary reliable but require some work yearly. Although marketed as a 2 person, only caries 1 adult. Unless it's been removed, on the rear of the ski you should find a weight limit. The 01/02 gp800r have a 350# weight limit. Not sure on 00 760. The 1200 should have a 350# limit. same hull as the 800r.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dave for replying! I went and looked at the gp1200r tonight and it ran good, had new carbs, was serviced yearly and rode great.. very clean ski. but when I did a compression test all cylinders were 70-75 psi and I know those are supposed to be in the 120 range. I Was very bummed because it was a stupid good deal but I didn’t want to risk having to rebuild the top end soon after I got it. Thinking about a gp760 for now and then getting a newer bigger ski next season. I’m just itchin to be back on the water.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
What brand compression tester was it? 70/75 is crazy low. generally at 90 you have very poor runability issues. Am surprised it even started if it's truly that low.
An SBT top end kit would run about $700 for the 1200. That's cyls, Pistons, pins, brgs, all gaskets with an exchange. If it's that crazy of a deal and shows to be well taken care of it may be worth it.
What kind of hrs were on it?
Do you have pics?
If the hrs are very low and is original nickasil cyl's you may only need Pistons/rings.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It was a Pittsburg automotive tester. That ski had 141 hours on it. They were gonna let me have it with the trailer for 2500. She sold it today so I don’t have any pictures.. now I’m looking at a 1998 XL1200 for 2500 with 187 hours and another gp760 for 2000 that has 120 hours with 122-125 psi. Do XLs have a long engine life? Or should I get the 760. They’re both about 3 and a half hours away from me so I’m trying to collect as much info as I can before I drive that far. I’m also looking at a 2001 Seadoo gtx RFI, it has the 787 in it which I know is better than the 951. The hour meter doesn’t work so the hours are unknown. But he wants $2400 for it with a trailer. I don’t know much about seadoos so any info would be great.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just found a 2001 GP800R for sale with only 60 hours for $2500. Any info on them? Good ski? Should I snatch it up?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
The 98 1200 motor is a non power valve and more trouble free than the GP1200r that has them. May have a slightly longer life, but with most 2strokes. 200/300 hrs and it will need a top-end at the very least. That's if it's well taken care for.

Was still working to answer last post. The Gp800r is identical to the 1200r just missing 1cyl.
Personally I love the 800. I own 2, an 01/02. They will carry a max payload of around 350 pounds. At around 50 mph.
The 800r has the same flaw as the 1200r. The power valves need to have wave eater clips installed to keep the valve pin from falling out. But does not have the same carb issues.
At 60hrs if its running good and looks in good condition with a trailer for 2500 that would be a very good deal here.
Compression on the 800 is again around 125 psi. Below 90 and it will need top-end. I think your tester is maybe 20/25 pounds light based on your test of the 1200.
Again check the hull underside for damage. Look for oil inside the hull under motor. This could indicate a broken oil line to carb. If it's still oil injected. This could mean a possibility of a bad cyl. Other than that if everything works ok. that sounds to possibly be a pretty good deal.
There are other possible causes for oil inside the hull. As there are several connections in the oil line and over time they can get loose and leak but you can locate them at the front of the motor. All this becomes voided if it's running premix and not oil injection.
The left hand grip is also a trim adjustment. There is a finger lever to unlock and the grip should turn to adjust the steering nozzle up and down. Check it, it tends to get stuck this could be used to lower the price.
Although the GPr is listed at a 2 seater, it would have to be 2 small adults. Again max weight is 350 pounds.
hope this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts