Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im currently looking into a starter PWC for myself and as you can imagine these things can be a bit confusing to a NOOB. I went and looked at this machine yesterday and thought it was a nice looking little ride. But i have been fooled by looks before! Can anyone tell me exactly what machine this is and anything they can about it.

Things like Specs, known problems, things to ask previous owner, and warning signs during my water test.

Thanks in advance.

Picture below.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
my best guess is around 94 or 95 Wave Raider 700?
I agree, looks like a Waveraider. You can look at the HIN number stamped on the ski to find out what year it is (last 2 digits of that number). There will be a model number on the ski someplace (look in back or in the engine compartment)

700cc 2 cylinder 2 stroke engine. Pretty relaible model, but remember you are looking at around a 15 year old ski. Top speed around 50-53 mph (my guess).

You said the magic words: "Water Test". That will tell you more about the ski than anything else possibly could. If it starts easily cold, throttles up quickly in the water, transitions well from high to low throttle and low to high, handles the turns without bogging, and doesn't smoke excessively then the engine and pump system are probably OK.

After that, I'd look at the hull and hoses for cracks, check the interior for signs of corrosion, ask about salt water use, ask if/when the top end and carb has been cleaned and rebuilt, take a flashlight and look at the impeller and wear ring, how many hours on it? I think if you do a water test and it passes, you can skip checking the compression (some others may disagree).

The 700 cc motor was fairly common and used on several skis, so parts are still fairly easy to find.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree, looks like a Waveraider. You can look at the HIN number stamped on the ski to find out what year it is (last 2 digits of that number). There will be a model number on the ski someplace (look in back or in the engine compartment)

700cc 2 cylinder 2 stroke engine. Pretty relaible model, but remember you are looking at around a 15 year old ski. Top speed around 50-53 mph (my guess).

You said the magic words: "Water Test". That will tell you more about the ski than anything else possibly could. If it starts easily cold, throttles up quickly in the water, transitions well from high to low throttle and low to high, handles the turns without bogging, and doesn't smoke excessively then the engine and pump system are probably OK.

After that, I'd look at the hull and hoses for cracks, check the interior for signs of corrosion, ask about salt water use, ask if/when the top end and carb has been cleaned and rebuilt, take a flashlight and look at the impeller and wear ring, how many hours on it? I think if you do a water test and it passes, you can skip checking the compression (some others may disagree).

The 700 cc motor was fairly common and used on several skis, so parts are still fairly easy to find.

Good Luck!
Great thats helpful thank you. Im fairly mechanically savvy but PWC's are a whole new can of worms to me.

I should be able to pick it up for $1000 with trailer. He tells me it runs perfectly and the last time he rode it (aprox 2 seasons ago) it had no problems at all. Its been stored in a barn since then for two canadian winters and will need a new battery.

Friday is the day i take it out so any info i can gather before then is appreciated.

Thanks again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts