Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at my 1st PWC purchase for the family. I need a 3 seater and want to be able to pull a tube or someone skiing or on a board. I am 180#, my wife is 145#, my kids are 110# and 80#.

I am considering all new PWC direct from dealers
2008 Kawasaki STX15 $6,000
2008 Yamaha VX Cruiser $7,500
2008 Yamaha FX Cruiser $8,000
2007 Honda F-12x $6,900

I would be interested in receiving feedback on
1. which you feel is the best (regardless) of price for what we want to do?
2. which is the best overall deal given what we want to do?
3. if you think we should be able to get a better deal than what is being offered - they are all before tax and trailer.

Thanks for your insight.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Steve---I have the same question! I've narrowed my choices down to a 2009 Kawasaki STX-15F or a new 2007 Honda Aquatrax F-12x GPScape. The Kawasaki is $8100 after tax and trailer, and the Honda is $8700 (tax and trailer included). Both are similar, so I'm stuck. I like the Honda name and reputation, but have always heard they are overpriced. All the Yamahas are too big, and I'm not a Sea Doo fan. Any advice?

·
Registered
30 Posts
In your situation, I'd go w/ the VX. You can count on it for years of reliable performance w/ a minimum of maintenance.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I am looking at my 1st PWC purchase for the family. I need a 3 seater and want to be able to pull a tube or someone skiing or on a board. I am 180#, my wife is 145#, my kids are 110# and 80#.

I am considering all new PWC direct from dealers
2008 Kawasaki STX15 $6,000
2008 Yamaha VX Cruiser $7,500
2008 Yamaha FX Cruiser $8,000
2007 Honda F-12x $6,900

I would be interested in receiving feedback on
1. which you feel is the best (regardless) of price for what we want to do?
2. which is the best overall deal given what we want to do?
3. if you think we should be able to get a better deal than what is being offered - they are all before tax and trailer.

Thanks for your insight.
Go Yamaha. Ask why most ski rentals use Yamaha? Long track record and very reliable proven design and engine and easy to maintain (I do my own). Go with the FX if you are going to have 3 people on it or plan to tow. I've towed with a VX, with 2 people on the ski and 1 in the tube and the other way around, but not fun. You will also get wetter on the VX. Towing is much easier with the FX (even better with the FX HO). VX is really much better as a 1-2 person ski IMO. For a new rider the Honda will feel less stable than the Yamaha = harder for multiple riders, and more difficult to tow with IMO. I can't comment on the Kaw, since I've never ridden one, but probably a better choice than the Honda for a new rider. Also consider premium gas required for the Honda (not sure about the Kaw). All Yamaha models run on 87 octane. Plus Honda has announced that they are no longer producing new skis (may be getting out of the ski business). Finding parts and service in the future may be a problem.

Also look for models that have adjustable trim and adjustable steering, (standard on some of the Yamahas), but not available at all on the Hondas. Adjustable trim and steering are not that important for a single rider, but can make a big difference if you are carrying passengers or towing. I end up standing up a lot more when towing and being able to raise the handlebars is a plus. The trim helps adjust for extra weight on the rear of the ski.

Your prices are inline with what I saw at recent boat shows for the new Yamahas, but I'd recommend looking for a used one. There was a 2007 FX HO Cruiser with 25 hours that recently sold in my area for $7000 and included a nice trailer. I got a 2008 FX HO Cruiser with 19 hours plus a nice Triton aluminum trailer last August for $7300........like new. Best time to buy used is the fall, but there are still some deals out there now.

You will also need 2 skis with a family of 4 if you want to take everyone along. 3 person maximum per ski in most states (includes persons in a towable). In that case you and your wife each with a VX plus 1 kid would be an option.

·
Registered
12 Posts
After much shopping, I settled on the Honda F12x turbo. Great price, and I wanted a 10 footer; most of the Yamahas are pushing 12 ft. I took the Honda out this weekend, and was VERY impressed. Great acceleration, well balanced---can't wait for Summer! No regrets. Honda is aggressively moving it's '07-'09 inventory. The rep told me that they are not producing a 2010 model in order to move excess inventory, and that the PWC production is moving from SC back to Japan (along with Goldwings and a few ATV's). Basically, Corporate consolidation due to the economy. He said that they will be building a 2011 model, and to his knowledge Honda will remain in the PWC business.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts