Personal Water Craft Forum banner

Which is better for salt water, Kawasaki or Yamaha?

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  FLwaiverunner 
#1 ·
Hello folks, just new on the group!!

I used to race and ride many years ago stand up Kawasaki's (440, 550, 650 and 750's) early and late 90's, on a fresh water lake in Mexico's mainland, now I live in Cancun and I have been for a long, away from the Jetski world, so I am looking forward to by a seat one PWC and an Stand up, my question is: which is better for saltwater? Kawasaki or Yamaha?

Regards,

#2 ·
Pretty much personal preference between the two brands.
If properly flushed with "salt away" or "salt Terminator" after your ride. This nuetralize the salt and help keep corrosion away. I spray the inside and outside of the ski and trailer as well then rinse it off. This gets the salt off everything after.

#3 ·
I only have Yamahas and only ride salt water. That being said, I religiously flush my units out - first with water only, then with salt away for 3 minutes, leaving a bit of solution in the engine. In other words, I run the unit, goosing the throttle a few times during, until the salt away solution in the clear reservoir into which it's put is mildly blue and not completely clear (from being all used up). In my mind, that assures me that I have left a soft concentration of salt away in the engine for (what I imagine to be) extra protection.

Per the instructions I got from the Stealership that sold me mine, I also rinse off my engine and the engine bay with a little of the salt away left in the reservoir. I may be anal about my maintenance, but I bought my jet skis new and I want to keep them running perfectly and looking as new as possible. After I'm done washing, inside and out, I take my backpack blower and go over each one, blowing the water out of as many cracks and crevices as I can both on the outside and around the engine. Then I have a Stanley wet/dry shop vac and suck all the water out of the bottom of my skis. After that, if needed, I'll use the liquid film spray on the engine mounts and in the engine bay, as well as the jet spout and any trailer parts and locks that I use. Cover the skis, park em and have a beer.

I think your Kawasaki or Yamaha question is a matter of personal preference. Both of them require diligent cleaning as quickly as possible after use. I hope this helps!

Tom

#5 ·
I only have Yamahas and only ride salt water. That being said, I religiously flush my units out - first with water only, then with salt away for 3 minutes, leaving a bit of solution in the engine. In other words, I run the unit, goosing the throttle a few times during, until the salt away solution in the clear reservoir into which it's put is mildly blue and not completely clear (from being all used up). In my mind, that assures me that I have left a soft concentration of salt away in the engine for (what I imagine to be) extra protection.

Per the instructions I got from the Stealership that sold me mine, I also rinse off my engine and the engine bay with a little of the salt away left in the reservoir. I may be anal about my maintenance, but I bought my jet skis new and I want to keep them running perfectly and looking as new as possible. After I'm done washing, inside and out, I take my backpack blower and go over each one, blowing the water out of as many cracks and crevices as I can both on the outside and around the engine. Then I have a Stanley wet/dry shop vac and suck all the water out of the bottom of my skis. After that, if needed, I'll use the liquid film spray on the engine mounts and in the engine bay, as well as the jet spout and any trailer parts and locks that I use. Cover the skis, park em and have a beer.

I think your Kawasaki or Yamaha question is a matter of personal preference. Both of them require diligent cleaning as quickly as possible after use. I hope this helps!

Tom
Dido, I run 2 yamaha's in the Gulf of Mexico year round and practice Tom's routine, skiis look new and they are 5 years old. No problems so far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.