Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 WaveRunner/jetski Yamaha XLT 1200 or 2005 Honda Aquatrax F-12X non turbo looking to purchase one of these 2 waverrunner. looking for information on maintenance and handling these vehicles. i am a new owner looking for any useful information

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Hi Joe with three kids. You can't go wrong with either. The question is do you mind owning a 2 stroke which is what the XLT1200 is. You also confused me since the F-12x is the turbo version the F-12 is the non turbo model. If they are the same price I'd go with the Honda just because it's 4 stroke.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I agree with YamaDoo. I'd go with the non-turbo Honda. Most problems you see are with the turbo on the Hondas. The non-turbo model is a pretty solid performer. It has a sporty ride, not super fast, but not a bad family machine. It will be more reliable, but keep in mind that Honda is out of the ski business for now. They haven't produced a ski since 2009, and many Honda PWC dealerships and their mechanics are getting hard to find if you do have a problem........one of the reasons that used Honda skis are selling for such low prices.

The Yamaha XLT 1200 is a 2 stroke, so you have to add oil, and may have an oil pump and lines to worry about, plus cleaning carbs periodically, catalyic converter failure problems, power valve failure problems...........etc.. For new owners, I'd recommend avoiding 2 stroke skis, unless you are good with a wrench.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts