Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new to the PWC world and need some help. I purchased a 1996 SPX from a friend who had been given the machine by family. I bought the SPX having never seen it in the water or having seen it run. This weekend I put it in the water for the first time and to my disappointment it did not run well. There is a lot of white smoke coming from the exhaust and the sparkplugs are oily wet. The machine bogs severely when given anything over 1/2 throttle and the engine misses.

It seems to me that the engine is running rich with either with fuel, oil, or fuel and oil. The machine is largely untouched from its OEM setup. The fuel lines and hardware are all original.

What do you suggest I try first? What type of fuel additive carburetor cleaner can I add to the fuel? Do the carburetor fuel filters get clogged on these machines? Do these carbs have floats; the service manual does not make it clear?

Where is the oil injected into the engine? Is the oil and fuel mixed prior to the fuel leaving carb? Thank you for any advice you can offer!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
550 OCEAN PRO SLUT, thanks for the feed back. I realize my carbs may need to be rebuilt but I am trying to get a little more information about the root of the problem.

When I open the Carbs what do you expect i will find?

Do the needle valves get stuck open or closed when these carbs get gumed up?

Do the needle valves used in these carbs have rubber tips on them? Where is a good source for carb kits for these units, (I prefer to order online)?

Is the white smoke a result of too much fuel, or too much oil?

Could I have a problem with the oil injection system adding too much oil, the plugs were oily wet?

·
BORN TO FISH NOT CATCH
1,512 Posts
open them up and you will find out
just buy the rebuild kits from ebay
i have them here but takes me a day to get then off to u

1 - 4 of 4 Posts