Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just signed up to the PWC forum and I'm as rookie as rookie can be. I've rode a few Yamaha's back 10 years ago or so. I am 60 years old and looking for something to share/ride on houseboat trips and trips with the family. Rental is a great way to go, but looking to do more outings per year. I've been looking online at used models....but finding pairs doesn't seem to be common. I'm not sure where the best place to look is. Why not go with 2 new base model EX's and trailer for under 20K or so? The Yamaha website doesn't mention horsepower on the EX's or top end speed???? I'm looking to buy for next year, but will jump on a deal if found. Why are EX's hard to find? I haven't been to a dealer yet. As a consumer, I'm always the guy looking for the price/performance sweet spot...always willing to save money over options. Why not another brand other than Yamaha? I hope to be a fixture over the coming years on this forum and appreciate any help on my buying decisions. Thanks, Biscut man

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to mention that these will be used in fresh water...mainly lake Cumberland and Dale Hollow. I know I have much research to do, but really need to know why the inexpensive models are not common. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Biscuit man, welcome to the forum.

The reason you don't see many base models in my opinion is that us old farts (I'm 56) want to cruise. While the younger bucks want speed/performance and there the big buyers. That said. Finding pairs comes and goes. You just have to keep eyes open. Craigslist, Facebook, local paper, the classifieds here, & pwctoday,greenhulk. Usually the fall is best opportunities. Folks selling prepping for new ski buy. New skis are also best buy in fall for leftovers.
In my opinion Yamaha has the best reliability, parts are easy to find and cheeper then others. I just advise staying away from super charged models. Have heard they can be problematic.
If you intend to tow these skis behind a boat. Be advised. You will need to install a valve in the cooling line to stop possible flooding of skis motor. It's not advisable to tow most skis over around 5/6 mph without intervention. Not hard to do. Valves readily available.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your response Dave. I know much more today than yesterday. I'm a patient guy... I will take my time to find a sweet deal. This virus situation might be a buying opportunity with in the next year or so. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Biscut man
I'm sure steps can added either as oem or aftermarket.
As for cost. Cost of steps plus maybe 2 hrs labor. Wild guess around 300/400 bucks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts