1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, can somebody help me out here?

I have a 1998 Yamaha Wave Venture 700.

Compression: 140psi in both cylinders
Carbs: Rebuilt good. I know how to rebuild carbs and they're done right.
Spark: Wierd

Using a timing light, one cylinder sparks normally, like clockwork. The other is sporadic. Ski runs great in the driveway, but on the water it idle's rough, runs good with a small amount of throttle, bogs down when I open up the throttle. After running with the throttle open then pulling off the seat, there seemed to be a lot of exhaust in the engine compartment.

I'm just wierded out by this one, I'm guessing that I have a bad spark plug wire, but does that explain everything?

Please help. Thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Exhaust in compartment isnt good.. Check your hoses and the big coupling hose to the muffler/waterbox.. Sounds like you have a leak somewhere in one of them.. Ive pretty much gone through everything short of adjusting my carbs and my XL700 is having nearly the same problems with the exception of the spark issue. The spark thing maybe its time to replace your 2 plugs wires..
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm not exactly sure... I haven't had to replace mine yet.. I have a pdf file service manual for the XL700 which I'm sure is pretty close to yours.. Motorwise probably very close to the same.. Mine is a 3 seater and a 1999, yours is only one year older. If you want send me your email and Ill email you the PDF file I have, and maybe it will help you..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts