Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just got back from my waverunner dealer and they charged me a fortune for de-winterization and oil change. I was wondering if winterization is always necessary, or only if you store it in a cold environment. I store my waverunner in a heated warehouse is it still necessary to winterize it?

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
dewinterize help needed

I also had mine winterized by a shop. Now I want to dewinterize myself. I replaced the spark plugs. Checked the battery, Checked the cables etc. I have two issues though. The fuel tank was kept topped off over the winter but now the fuel gauge says empty and I can get it to crank, I have spark at the plugs but I cannot get it to start.:(

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
De-winterization??? If the winterization was done correctly about the only thing you would need to do to be ready to ride is put in the battery (which would have been on a charger), and go ride.

I don't recommend replacing the spark plugs until you have run the engine at least once in the spring to clear out all the fogging oil, etc., that could foul a new plug. Some people recommend waiting until the spring to lube the cables, but if you use a good product and keep the ski covered you can do all that as part of the winterization process, so there is very little to do when you are ready to ride in the spring.

My local shop wanted $250 for the winterization, which included an oil change. I did it myself in about an hour for much less. See this thread: Tips for those winterizing soon (yamaha) - PWCToday

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I also had mine winterized by a shop. Now I want to dewinterize myself. I replaced the spark plugs. Checked the battery, Checked the cables etc. I have two issues though. The fuel tank was kept topped off over the winter but now the fuel gauge says empty and I can get it to crank, I have spark at the plugs but I cannot get it to start.:(
Did the shop put Sta-Bil or other fuel stabilization product in the tank? If not you may have water in the fuel from condensation, or just bad gas. I didn't understand about the fuel tank.......is the tank empty or is the gauge not working correctly? Are all the other gauges working correctly? What is the battery voltage? Was the battery kept on a charger? You may have enough voltage to turn the engine over but no more? If you paid a shop for the winterization, I'd take the ski back and let them sort it out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
winterization necessary

Hey guys, I just got back from my waverunner dealer and they charged me a fortune for de-winterization and oil change. I was wondering if winterization is always necessary, or only if you store it in a cold environment. I store my waverunner in a heated warehouse is it still necessary to winterize it?

Thanks
Im not sure what ski you have, or whether its 2-stroke or 4 stroke but its ABSOLUTELY necessary to perform certain steps in the off season regardless of the enviorment.You'll have a dead battery or nearly a dead one after 3-4 months without running the ski.The service manual or owners manual will explain the steps involved.And don't forget we're here to help, that's what a forum is all about.Save your money from the dealer and use that cash to take your girl out;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
fogging oil smoke

De-winterization??? If the winterization was done correctly about the only thing you would need to do to be ready to ride is put in the battery (which would have been on a charger), and go ride.

I don't recommend replacing the spark plugs until you have run the engine at least once in the spring to clear out all the fogging oil, etc., that could foul a new plug. Some people recommend waiting until the spring to lube the cables, but if you use a good product and keep the ski covered you can do all that as part of the winterization process, so there is very little to do when you are ready to ride in the spring.

My local shop wanted $250 for the winterization, which included an oil change. I did it myself in about an hour for much less. See this thread: Tips for those winterizing soon (yamaha) - PWCToday
LOL! i luv that first big whiff of smoke from the fogging oil at the first start of the jet ski season! And my GPR is a 2-stroke so its like a cloud.BTW don't shrink wrap your ski like a boat,alot of dealers offer that service.Ski engine compartments need ventilation, besides winter is for tweaking under there:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have always done my own winterization, and never really had any issues. I have my ski hard wired for a battery tender. It is on its last leg this year, and was put into service May 2006. Not bad, huh?With Ethanol fuel I would consider removing ALL the fuel from the tank and storing it dry. That stuff barely last 45 days, and can wreak havoc if it phase seperates.

FWIW, my buddy picked up a Honda turbo four stroke ski last year. Very cheap. It only had about 12 hours on it. Absolutely mint. It had been sitting in a heated garage for several years without being run. Well, it was not winterized and a valve was stuck and got bent first time it was turned over. I went over to look at the motor after it was torn down. Every cylinder had a tiny amount of rust. This could have been easily prevented with a little fogging. Extreme case, but it can and does happen.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well I got it running. I was wrong. I thought I left the tank full before the shop winterized it, and I even thought I saw the liquid line when working on it yesturday. It was out of gas! Its amazing how much gas helps the engine run.

·
Registered
47 Posts
No Gas

its ok everybody gets a brain fart once in a while.Any Qs on skis we gotta try to help each other out, the dealer is a last resort, unless its a warranty issue. Lets try to save our money and spend it on drinking and girls, not a $100 an hr mechanic:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
What all does Winterization include?

I live in TX, and I just bought a GP1200R this week, and just curious what people actually do for the winter to the Ski's?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts