Personal Water Craft Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the waverunner world. Just got my 2009 VX Deluxe beginning of September. I was holding out for a good deal which i think I got. Paid $7200 for my new 2009 model with a new 2010 trailer. I have been having a ball with it, so far it has been running like a charm :D. So on to my question.

I live in Massachusetts and it gets to sub freezing temps during most of the winter. My ski will be stored outside so I am very concerned about prooper winterizing and getting all the water out of the engine.

I have owned boats for many years and have always winterized myself without any problems. I usually pull some drain plugs and drain all the water from the engine. But what I have seen in most forums regarding getting the water out of the jetski engine is tilt it with bow up and just run it a few seconds at a time to blow out the water.

I didn't like the sound of that so I even tried to run some antifreeze through the engine using the flush tube and fitting with a gravity feed tank I have full of antifreeze. I guess the pressure from gravity feed is not enough because the engine got hot very quickly and I had to shut it down. So I am still not comfortable that the antifreeze made its way through the engine cooling system.

Is tilting it bow up and running a few seconds a time to blow the water out truley sufficeint to be sure all the water is out of the engine. I don't want to have any frozen water damage on my new ski.

Appreciate any help.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Tilting it works best and gets most of it out. Gravity feed is not going to get antifreeze into motor, it needs to be pressurized. If you have salt-water in there, i would run a flush kit with fresh water to clear the system first. Also, fog the motor as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is "Most" of it out good enough ?

Sorry to be paranoid about this but is getting "Most" of the water out good enough. Are there any drain plugs on this engine that i should open up?

I would like to hear from those up in the North where it drops below freezing.
What are you doing? and has it been working for you?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
winterizing

Thanks - Ernest - good stuff. Makes sense that starting the engine several times (10 -15 seconds at a time) to blow out the water should get most out and as he stated in the post, a little water will have room to expand without causing any damage.

Thanks again :thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.