Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a general question on the need to winterize. I recently purchased a jet ski and live in NJ. I have a heated garage which rarely gets below 60 degrees. Is it necessary to winterize if I start it and run it weekly? What are your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
As I understand, you will not need to winterize in your situation. You may want to start it once a week & let it idle (with waterhose attached) for a few minutes to keep the battery charged and to prevent build up in the engine.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I have a general question on the need to winterize. I recently purchased a jet ski and live in NJ. I have a heated garage which rarely gets below 60 degrees. Is it necessary to winterize if I start it and run it weekly? What are your thoughts. Thanks in advance.
If by start you mean just crank it for a 10-15 seconds, I'd be concerned that you will probably kill the battery over a winter, since you are pulling lots of amps for the start, and not giving it time to recharge. If you mean actually hooking it up to a hose, I'd say that is way to much work.

You could do what you need to do to winterize it in your case (Sta-bil in the gas, lube the cables and moving parts, spray in some fogging oil, put the battery on a charger) in about 30 minutes, and then not have to worry about it again until the spring. I think the bare minimum is battery on charger (one with float mode), and Sta-bil in gas, then start it once in a while.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts