Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to winterize a pair of 2004 GP1300Rs. Should I purchase a pair of float chargers or trickle chargers. My gut says float as it seems better to regulate the charge and not over charge continually as a trickle would.
Harbor Freight sells the float chargers ( Chicago Electric ) for about $8 each?
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Float is better for lead acid batteries. The good ones can even desulfate and restore the battery.

I should mention that the Chicago Electric chargers work great for flooded batteries (ones that have caps to add distilled water). However, the Chicago Electric charger is not recommended with AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) type of batteries, which are common replacements for jet skis and motorcycles. I'd spend a little extra and get a Battery Tender brand of charger if you have the more expensive type of AGM battery. If you use the Chicago Electric charger on an AGM battery it could actually cause the battery to vent and shorten battery life. The instructions that come with the Chicago Electric charger specifically state not to use the charger with AGM batteries.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Great, picked up a pair float chargers. I have the batteries the flooded batteries. Appreciate the advice. Thanks.

One more question on winterizing. I run my skis in salt water more than fresh for a few hours every 3-4 weeks. Do you recommend a salt away product or just flushing hose water enough will do the job. Also, if you do recommend a Salt away or Salt terminator flush, do I need the mixing kit or can just use a long stem funnel in the flushing port?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I'd recommend Salt-away for a final flush and not a bad idea to spray some all over the inside of the engine compartment and rinse there as well, but be sure to let the inside of the ski dry completely before you cover it for storage (I use fans).

You need the mixing kit hose attachment to do the flush right. If you just run it through the funnel with no pressure most just goes right out the exhaust and none through the rest of the ski.

The Salt Terminator product should work just as well. I'd go for whichever you can get cheapest.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts