Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my second WaveRunner 1990 with a WR500 in it. I have two of them. Took the second one out for the first time last weekend and experienced a slight problem.

The ski just wouldn't top out and reach the top speed it is capable of. I know it should at least be in the 32 mph range.

Things checked. I have compression of 140 and 132 in cylinders. I have adjusted the high and low on the carb. Carb was cleaned when I was installing the engine. New fuel filter also when I installed the used engine. I have a stainless impeller, not a stock one, but not for sure what type it is.

The ski fires right up and runs really good. I thought the lack of top end power might be due to low compression but a 8 psi loss isn't much. Don't want to spring for the 114.00 to replace rings and pistons if this won't really solve the problem.

Just want to get that 5 or 6 mile an hour gain so that both skis run about the same on the water. Oh, and I also checked, I am not dragging water in the hull with me either. It also was with a 185 lb rider and a full tank of gas.

Just stumped. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Pitch of the Impeller?

I know that you can change the pitch to give you more off the line power or you can install one for more top end speed.

could your build be just fine but your skis are running different pitched impellers?

Just a thought..... I know on my boat I was able to gain 10 mph just from changing the prop... but it did take longer getting up on plane off the line when I did that

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had a similar problem and after careful inspection found a scrap of wood wedged in the pump. You would think that would ave been easy to see, but I only found it when I went to replace the impeller. WR500 s . For a small amount of power, it is a cool ski to play with .

1989 WR500 ( 2 )
1993 WR500
1993 Kawa X2
1995 Kawa 550SX standup

1 - 3 of 3 Posts