Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'97 Yamaha Waverunner - 4 years of fun (for us)...Now Mr. Mechanic says the #2 cylinder is reading 65 psi and wants $1300 to replace the top end:

1. Fix & avoid spending big money on replacement?
2. Find new Mr. Mechanic?
3. Sell on e-bay for minimal $$$

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you want to take the dive - I mean the big Dive! jump ship and part that thing out. I had a 93 SeaDoo xp that would run on the hose but that SOB to the water and it would not do squat. I got so frustrated with it . I just started taking stuff off and listing it one ebay for sale. I did try to sell the ski and trailer for $500 and got no takers. just before this. Well - After a few months of removing stuff and listing and shipping I was $1700 to the richer. And another $250 in the trailer. In fact my VXR 650 yamaha rides on the old SeaDoo trailer I bought it back from the guy who bought it from me
for $250 I paid him $150 and I bought my ski for $640. So if you have the ebay savy and want to take her appart it can be the ticket to a new ski for much less money than that $1200 mr. fix it !

Sink_Sank_Sunk out !

·
Registered
8 Posts
In fact the top end on my vxr 650 is not that hard to Redo , so if your any kind of mechanic you could this yourself. Yamaha's are simple compared to SeaDoo's . they are a PITA..... and maybe $300 to $400 for all the parts.
People on this site will walk you thru it. just make sure to follow the directions on Lock tite and have an inch pound torque wrench and a foot pound torque wrench with the proper Metric sockets and extensions.
If you go there and get the heads bored 1 mm over size same with the pistons and a set of rings, It's a snap ! you just have to go thru break in again. Once you do it the first time you are hook up.

trust me !

Sink_Sank_Sunk out ! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
When you have no way of knowing what condition the head or cylinder bores look like on the fly as well as any other internal or external parts, It could easily be $300, Time is also money, If you have not done this before you may need help. I would rather know
the cost up front would be on the high side than to short change yourself. If you banked for Even $300 and then it only cost you say $225 then you have some money left for oil , gas , etc. Since now you will have to run thru break in again. You must mix 32 to 1 Now would be a good time to kill the oil pump and lines and go with the block off plate and pre mix in the tank. It all adds up......

Sink_Sank_Sunk out!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts