Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over memorial day weekend I was enjoying lake norman in nc with my family. A few people across the lake had called the lake patrol claiming we were splashing their docks and driving wreckless. I was well over the 100 ft rule. I did not know about the complaints at this point. A little while later we had pulled into a calm cove while taking a break from tubing and jet skiing. I went up behind my cousin and sprayed him with the pwc...I know that's illegal and all but we were just having some family fun..and I am an experienced rider that knows how to not hit anyone like that. The next thing I know the lake patrol come flying up to my pwc demanding that I get in their boat. They said they had recieved 4 complaints (although I had been observing the 100 ft rule)..and they had seen me splash my cousin..the only thing I did wrong. They were debating over whether or not to cuff me and even threatened to arrest my dad when he simply was trying to ask them for an explanation. They gave me a ticket and told me to be in court. I live 4 hours and out of state from there and asked them if I could call someone, pay a fine, and settle it. They said I would be arrested if I did not show up for court. They also said I would be arrested if I even attempted to contact the judge about the matter at hand. I've been riding jet skis for 12 years and never had a problem until now. I need to know if any of you has ever dealt with this kind of situation and any advice or tips on how to get out of it as light as possible. Thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well, you have your rights therefore you are allowed to contact the judge however youll have to settle this just the same as anyone else. As usual you are still innocent until proven guilty but you will probably have to take it to court. Becasue it was on a Jet-ski more than likely they will take the cops word that you where screwing around. There are too many jet ski accidents around the world and the absolute worst time to be out doing things that you shouldnt be (according to the law) is on a long weekend.

·
Registered
2 Posts
carolinaboy said:
I went up behind my cousin and sprayed him with the pwc...I know that's illegal and all but we were just having some family fun..and I am an experienced rider that knows how to not hit anyone like that.

Experience riding doesn't counter the possibility of hardware failure that could cause you to lose control and hit your cousin :eek:

·
BORN TO FISH NOT CATCH
1,512 Posts
ticket

carolinaboy said:
Over memorial day weekend I was enjoying lake norman in nc with my family. A few people across the lake had called the lake patrol claiming we were splashing their docks and driving wreckless. I was well over the 100 ft rule. I did not know about the complaints at this point. A little while later we had pulled into a calm cove while taking a break from tubing and jet skiing. I went up behind my cousin and sprayed him with the pwc...I know that's illegal and all but we were just having some family fun..and I am an experienced rider that knows how to not hit anyone like that. The next thing I know the lake patrol come flying up to my pwc demanding that I get in their boat. They said they had recieved 4 complaints (although I had been observing the 100 ft rule)..and they had seen me splash my cousin..the only thing I did wrong. They were debating over whether or not to cuff me and even threatened to arrest my dad when he simply was trying to ask them for an explanation. They gave me a ticket and told me to be in court. I live 4 hours and out of state from there and asked them if I could call someone, pay a fine, and settle it. They said I would be arrested if I did not show up for court. They also said I would be arrested if I even attempted to contact the judge about the matter at hand. I've been riding jet skis for 12 years and never had a problem until now. I need to know if any of you has ever dealt with this kind of situation and any advice or tips on how to get out of it as light as possible. Thanks.

go fight it

some cops have really bad tempers because they think everybody hates them

as for being arrested for not showing up, yes u will get a bench warrant, as for as rescheduling it is easy just call the court house and give them an excuse why u can not make it. most Judges out there are on your side. i know i have been there and down that in the past

the best is call them and find out what fines are

do u have the code they wrote u up with
e-mail it to me and i will see if i can help u out

yes doing these kind of things are not smart. like phatmatt8 said equipment failure operator judgment is the number one cause of injury

·
Registered
15 Posts
Any news on what happened in court? I am sure that you have already had your hearing. Let us know what happened.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I do not know about your state but most laws do read 100 feet but even beyond that you are responsible for any injury or damage you create.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had something like this happen. At fiesta island. But call the courts and maybe even talk to a lawyer and find out if you can just pay by mail or something, or you see if you write a statement saying you are guilty. There's loophole's, just gotta know who knows them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts