Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Need some expert advice. 1990 X2 wont start when hot.

It'll start cold after cranking over for about 20 seconds but when hot, wont start at all

I changed the head gasket, carb, intake gasket, reed valves and spark plug.

It's geting air (choke can't be blocked- it is not installed)
Getting fuel (it runs cold an plugs are dark and smell like gas)
and making a good spark

Compression is 125 and 125

A friend suggested rectifier or air getting in through somewhere however the intake and head gaskets are new.

Anybody have any ideas or have seen this problem before??

Thanks!

·
Registered
144 Posts
First thing I have to say is 125 is quite low for compression. This might be a contributing factor.

This may sound silly but pull the starter and check the armature and brushes.

I have had a couple now that would turn over fine, with a blue spark present but wouldn't start. Over the years the brushes get burnt and then won't turn the motor over fast enough to start it.

File the brushes flat. Put the armature into a lathe and draw a file over the contact area to clean it up. If you don't have access to a lathe then a drill clamped into a vise will do the same thing.

Before installing the starter run it on the bench to seat the brushes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply!

I thaught about the starter but why would it start cold and not hot? Wouldn't it just not start at all?

Thanks!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Once the starter gets hot it wont turn over a efficiently. It slows down when it's hot.

I had the exact same problem with my wife's ski. Then a friends. And finally mine. Also check to make sure the battery is fully charged.

Where in Canada are you located?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts