Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 98' XL 1200 with 150 hrs on it. I already had to fix the exhaust because it was filling the hull up with smoke. It never got top end speed which i was told is around 50-60 mph i only go about 30-40 maybe. I was told it could be the carbs so I put a fuel cleaner in the fuel tank it seemed to work, but the rpm's will not go above 6000, when i know it should go to at least 7. So i know there there is a problem somewhere.

I ran a compression test and from the test results it seemed normal. (from the stern to the bow: 120, 105, 102 psi)

I also am looking into getting a new impeller, I know nothing about the angles and which one to go to do, I have alrady taken it off now i just need to know which one to buy that can give me top end and good acceleration.

Please any and all help is needed, thanks again for looking

·
Registered
3 Posts
First of all your compression should read 150 psi on all three. I would say that it is time for a rebuild. Anything below 130 is bad. Your rev limiter should not kick in til about 8-8500 rpm. I would definatly check the jet's wear ring and impeller. If they have never been changed they need to be asap. over time the wear ring and impeller change shape a bit. There should be an exact amount of minimal clearence between the two. At 150 hrs it is definatly time to endure some of the drastic maintenence. Top end and jet pump. I hope this helps

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just bought a new impeller, the engine is out of the ski, i need new gaskets and I was thinking about new pistons. that will be around 400-500 easily, for a new gasket kit and the top engine kit. what is the jet pump? what is the jet wear ring?

thanks for asnwering

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you look into the tunnel where the impeller sits you will see a "ring" of material that forms the close tolerance between the impeller and the pump housing..

That ring is removable and replaceable..you can just go right back to stock part..just new..

·
Registered
3 Posts
He's right, The wear rings are easy to replace. If you don't already have on I would definatly buy a repair manual for your model. There are tons of things that need to be done while doing a rebuild. You can do it, and really it's not all that expensive. Pistons should run around 80-90$ each.

As for the jet pump, the wear ring is a must. You prop might not be too bead. You will also need to change the oil in the cone of the impeller. this oil help keep the bearings lubricated. Take your time, do it right, and you will have a blast with it next season.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so heres another question, with the pistons, the pistons that are currently in there are fine a lil carbon build up but i can remove that, however, do they sell just the rings so i can replace them or do i have to buy all new pistons, i'm trying to limit my costs. I also got a ballpark figure to have the impeller removed off of the shaft and the new one i bought put on for around 75-100, is this something u can do urself? if so is there a webiste that tells u how to do it? thanks again everyone!!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
You can just replace rings but you have to hone the cylinders also. The wear ring on yamahas is about $150 and is just one solid piece that slides over your impeller. Pretty sure there is no oil in the jet pump since they are sealed bearings. You can do the impeller change yourself, I think the impeller is backwards thread.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts